Sunday, April 17, 2011

Reunited Hearts Interview

How exciting to have Trent the hero from Reunited Hearts Ruth Logan Herne an April, 2011 release from Love Inspired Romance!

1. Trent, tell me the most interesting thing about you.

I’ve never found myself all that interesting, but if you ask the residents of Jamison, New York, they’d tell you that finding me in a field, lost and alone, a four-year-old little boy dumped by his parents, well… I kind of became the town mascot. The town child. I had a nice foster family, but the whole town watched over me. Looked out for me. And that was great, but I never felt normal. What’s normal about parents trashing their kid along an Interstate? Nothing. But the worst of it was they dumped my little brother Clay a couple of counties east. Clay didn’t make it. I did.

2. What do you do for fun?

Well, this one takes some thought. I don’t do fun. I should, but I have fun working. Helping others. Developing opportunities for others, just like the town did for me as a kid. I love the army. West Point. Serving. But I knew I couldn’t stay there, not when I heard Jamison was in trouble. The town fell on rough times financially, and well… With a smack upside the head by the Holy Spirit, I KNEW I could help. It meant coming back. Setting the wheels in motion. Getting a job with Walker Electronics, a great small company I believed would do well with military contracts. And military contracts mean more jobs to the whole area. A win/win.

3. What do you put off doing because you dread it?

Nothing. Ever. That would be wrong.

4. What are you afraid of most in life?

Being alone. Living alone. Dying alone. I want a family. I want the dream. I want to belong to someone, some time.

5. What do you want out of life?

Nothing physical. Well, I like to drive a decent car. And I like the sweet old house I bought on McCallister Street, it’s one of those old colonials and I knew it was meant for me the minute I saw it. Of course Cory was excited about it… Oh, wait, you don’t know Cory. She’s Alyssa’s daughter, probably the cutest little thing known to mankind, all big blue eyes and mops of curls and the cutest little speech issues going on. I hate to correct them because, well… they’re that cute. Like her.

6. What is the most important thing to you?

My faith. Living it, not just talking it. Walking the walk. Helping others be the best they can be. But ultimately it’s my love of God and country, knowing I’m here for a purpose. A goal. Even if I’m not sure what that is all the time, I know God drives me toward it.

7. Do you read books? If so, what is your favorite type of book?

I love edge of your seat books. Thrillers. Espionage. Nothing tame, unless it’s something I’m reading to Cory. She likes things like Goodnight Moon. And stories about dogs.

8. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

I’d relax more. Slow down. Smell the proverbial roses. Take a walk. Play on the swings. I love playing football with Jaden. Oh, yeah, that’s right, you haven’t met Jay. He’s the son I didn’t know I had. He was born twelve years ago, when I was in my first year at West Point and when you’re at West Point you cannot be married or responsible for a child.

So yeah, Alyssa and I, we went too far. We were young. In love. And then she dumped me, and I didn’t get it because she loved me. I knew it.

But she walked, headed off to college, and never told me about the baby because she knew I’d give up my appointment to West Point to take care of her and our baby. Because nothing’s more important than family. Family is a gift to be loved. Cherished. Held close to your heart. I guess when you have family, you might not understand what a miracle that is. It amazes me to think I have a son. And it angers me to imagine what I missed, but I’m trying to understand Alyssa’s reasoning.

I won’t pretend that’s easy.

9. Do you have a pet? If so, what is it and why that pet?

No time for pets in the military, but I like dogs. And Cory’s been pestering for a dog, so maybe if I have one, she’ll come visit me. And bring her mother. Did I mention that Alyssa is even more beautiful (if that’s possible) now than she was in high school? That dark hair that gets just a little auburn in the sun?

10. If you could travel back in time, where would you go and why?

World War II. I’d have a go at Hitler. Probably on a European offensive. But I like the here and now, being back home in Jamison, seeing the hills deepen with summer green. Watching the kids play on the Park Round playground. Stopping in to see Reverend Hannity and his wife. She sent me cookies all the years I was gone, a taste of home, she called them. Coming back here was as close to a home as I’ve got and every now and again… Well, I guess, every now and again I wonder if this could be home. A real home. Clay’s here. His little body is in a sunny corner of the town cemetery, just south of the gnarled oak. The town marked his grave with a beautiful carved stone, a stone engraved with twining ivy beneath a ball and a bat. Clay loved to play ball. Someday we’ll have a catch again, him and me. But right now my days are filled with football and Jaden. He’s amazing. A natural. And a born leader. And Cory likes to be in on everything, always laughing. Smiling. And grabbing my hand, tugging me places.

After so many years of leading in the military, I had no idea how good it would feel to have a little kid lead me along. I could get used to this.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Trent:

    Not too far from you in NY a mother drive into the Hudson River with her four children so they would all die together. The oldest boy, ten years old, escaped through a window and tried to rescue the others but he failed at this.

    Your parents abandoned you and your brother but they did not try to kill you. What advice can you offer this poor child? You’ve been there.

    Vince

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive