Today we're welcoming Kaitlin Mathers, the heroine of Lone Star Protector written by Lenora Worth a June release by Love Inspired Suspense.
Wow, you've just had quite an adventure.
1. Tell us a little about yourself and how you came to be in the midst of such suspense. I’m a K-9 trainer and one day when I was leaving work, I was held at gun point by a masked man. Captain Slade McNeal’s K-9 partner Rio was taken months ago and we’ve all been trying to help find him. I think the man who tried to kidnap me is the one who took Rio.
2. So, during the book you met Slade McNeal). Tell us a bit about him. What was your first impression? When did you know it was love? Well, the man saved my life. My first impression of him was this instant awareness but he shouted “Stay Away.” We’re good friends and I’ve even babysat his adorable son Caleb. But Captain McNeal should be called Captain McSteel. He’s that hard to read and very tough.
3. What strengths/skills do you have? What is your greatest weakness? I’m good at my job. I love my animals and I love helping the police department. My weakness must be courage since I trained to be a police officer but found my joy in being a K-9 trainer. I might go back out on the street one day but I have to find the courage to take that step.
4. What scares you? See above. I wanted to be a police officer after my mother was killed by a drug addict. She was a veterinarian and she was working late with a sick animal. The man came looking for drugs and murdered her. I couldn’t save her but I’m helping to train these amazing animals and that makes me feel like I’m saving other people.
5. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? I’m kind of impulsive and determined. I don’t pull any punches. I’ve tried to help Slade with Caleb. Slade can’t see that his son is still traumatized from his mother’s death in a car that exploded. Slade blames himself but he doesn’t know how to help his son. I’m getting way off topic but that’s my line of thinking. If I could change one thing about myself, it probably would be that I need to trust in God’s plan for my life.
6. Where are you in your faith at the start of your story? My faith has always been strong. It helped me after my mother died. But my trust is weak. I need to trust in the Lord and try not to be in control all the time.
7. Where are you in your faith at the end of the story? Strong and solid. Slade and I go through the worst and we both come out stronger. I think I’ll be okay on that trust thing if I can have him and Caleb and our K-9 partners in my life. God is good.
8. You've got a scripture at the beginning of the story. Tell us why this scripture is significant. “Curse be he who smiteth his neighbor in secret. And all the people shall say Amen.”—Dueteronomy 27:24 Since someone in this town is hiding a lot o secrets, this verse shows how we must come together to find that person. He’s hurting our town and threating our families. I want justice and this time, I’ll go after it myself.
9. If you could be a dessert what would you be and why? I’d be a strawberry shortcake. Good strong dough with fruit and whipped cream, to show my many facets J I love ice cream too but … I don’t melt.