Thursday, November 10, 2016

Patricia Johns: Place Holder Boyfriends

When I was seventeen, I met a guy I could have married.

He was a really nice guy, very sweet and down-to-earth. We’ll call him Bob. He was blond haired and blue eyed, with this quirky little smile and with manners that made me feel special. He was a country boy, and about as sweet and honorable as they come. I was working at McDonald’s at the time, and he worked there, too. We started talking, and I could tell that he liked me–as in really liked me–but I had a long distance boyfriend.



Now, the long-distance boyfriend (let’s call him Ted) was another very nice guy. But there wasn’t a huge amount of chemistry there, and while we both really respected each other, it wasn’t going anywhere fast. Plus, there was about 4 hours of driving between us, so…

Anyway, one evening after work, Bob drove me home. He just sort of... hung around and ended up staying for supper. He got along with my family really, really well. My dad had never really taken a shine to Long Distance Boyfriend Ted, but Bob just sort of… fit in. He liked Star Trek like we did, and he loved my dad’s cooking. Bob was kind and decent, and I could tell he really wanted something with me. We just clicked.

So, the next day at work, I had to tell Bob about Ted. It was the right thing to do, and I wasn't the two-timing sort.  Bob, being the very decent guy that he was, bowed out. Like completely–no more chit chat, no more rides. He simply went away so efficiently, that I have no idea where he went or what became of him. But I often thought that if I hadn’t been dating Long Distance Ted at the time, Bob was the sort of guy who would have stuck. I could have dated him for a couple of years, and ended up marrying him.

Which would have been tragic, because then I wouldn’t have been able to marry Mr. Johns nearly ten years later, and in my mind there is a very big difference between a person you could marry and a soulmate. My husband, if you hadn’t guessed, falls into the latter category. He was a man I’d forever regret not marrying.

So, since we’re all thinking thankful thoughts this month, today, I’m thankful for Ted–the place-holder-long-distance boyfriend who kept me from getting involved with Bob. It’s funny how things turn out, but I truly believe that God’s hand was there, keeping me available for the man He’d chosen for me… for the man who was already praying for me in the heart of Africa.

Long Distance Ted went on to get married and have two children. I’m sure he’s equally grateful not to have married me. (Delightful as I am. ;) ) I don’t know what became of Bob, but he was an honest, good guy, and I like to think that he found his soulmate, too–someone worthy of him. He deserved that.

As for Mr. Johns, he immigrated to Canada and we met 9 years after the Bob/Ted situation. It took exactly two weeks for him to propose and a heartbeat for me to accept. We both just knew.
***
This month, my Western Romance has hit the shelves! This is a sweet romance written by a Christian author. That means you can trust the books I write, no matter which line they are published in. I hope you enjoy this story!

 
 



COULD HE BE HER HERO? 
Hope, Montana, is no longer home to Andy Granger, who sold his piece of the family ranch to developers. He's only back to run a cattle drive in his brother's stead. But the community can't forgive him for selling out. And Dakota Mason, the beautiful cowgirl he hired, has every reason to hate him… 
Ranching is in Dakota's blood. And now the developers have cut off water her neighboring ranch desperately needs. She's only on the ride for a paycheck—not to turn her back on her community. And definitely not to fall for some overly protective urban cowboy. But Andy may surprise everyone…including himself.

Harlequin         Amazon           Patricia Johns Website

6 comments:

  1. I love this! What a beautiful love story. Its so great the way God orchestrates life for our good even when we don't think it is or can see it until later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Terri! Yes, I love to see how God works things out. It's always better than my own plans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Terri said, what a beautiful love story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, Patricia. You're right. Sometimes we meet people we could easily spend the rest of our life with, but God has something better in mind. How blessed we are!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive