ALASKAN HOMECOMING is the 4th book in my series of Alaskan romances for LI, so it's full of fun Alaskan things, like snow, ice skating, naughty reindeer, gigantic dogs, snowball fights, romance (of course!) and bears. Lots of bears! But I can't say anymore about that without giving things away. No spoilers!
One of the things I like best about ALASKAN HOMECOMING is my heroine, Posy. She's a ballerina. I love ballet, and I've wanted to write a ballet-themed book for a long time. (I just had to figure out how to bring ballet to Alaska.) So, in celebration of my heroine, Posy Sutton, here are seven fun facts about ballet:
1. A male dancer lifts over one and a half tons (!) worth of ballerinas during a single ballet performance.
2. Most ballerinas wear out 2-3 pair of pointe shoes per week.
3. One tutu costs up to $2,000 to make.
4. The same tutu requires 60-90 hours of labor and over 100 yards of ruffle.
5. The amount of energy needed to perform a ballet is about the same as playing two full football matches or running 18 miles.
6. Pointe shoes never have the ribbons sewn on when you buy them. Dancers sew their own ribbons into their shoes, so they can customize exactly where they're placed. They usually sew elastic onto the shoes as well. The amount of time that ballet dancers spend with a needle in their hands is a lot.
7. A prima ballerina can complete 32 fouette turns, while staying in the same exact spot on the floor. After the turns, the tip of her pointe shoe is hot to the touch.
Surprised? There's a lot to ballet besides pretty pink satin and ballerina buns! Want to learn more? Check out ALASKAN HOMECOMING!
Ballet dancer Posy Sutton is only back in her hometown of Aurora, Alaska, until her injury heals. It's a decision that'd be easier to stick to if she didn't keep bumping into her charming ex-boyfriend, Liam Blake. After six years, she should be over him—but instead all she can see is the mistake she made when she left him. She's not sure she can handle choosing between Liam and ballet a second time…if Liam is even willing to risk his heart again. When her time in Alaska is up, will she and Liam be part of the sweetest dance of all?