Monday, February 25, 2019

My book is being made into a movie! Dreams really do come true! By Belle Calhoune



I've been celebrating some pretty fabulous news for the past few weeks.  One of my books (An Alaskan Christmas) is being made into a tv movie by Brain Power Studios.  They have a partnership with Harlequin where they've bought books and brought them to life on the small screen. Whee!  This exciting development was totally unexpected! Receiving this news definitely is a career highlight.  I'm very thankful for this wonderful opportunity.

I keep thinking of Psalm 37:4.  "Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."

The best things in life always seem to come straight out of the blue when we’re not expecting it.  Like most authors, I’ve fantasized about the movie version of one of my books.  But I never dreamed of the way in which it would all come about.  Little did I know that the movie had been cast and filmed already by the time I found out. The only downside is that I didn't get to go on set and watch the action.  Maybe next time. See! I'm an optimist.



The genesis of my idea came from the old tv show Northern Exposure.  I loved the Alaskan town and the quirky characters.  I started brainstorming about a quaint Alaskan town in need of love.  What if there was a shortage of women? What if there was an irascible town mayor who was the patriarch of one of the founding families? What if he created Operation Love in order to bring single women to town for the male bachelors?  Bingo.  An idea had hatched.  Characters were creeping their way into my brain.  Love, Alaska was a fully-developed town.

As a writer, I deal with writing challenges all the time.   I loved writing this series.  It was FUN.  And it taught me something.  Writing should be fun.  Because the characters in this seven-book series poured out of my soul.  And there were many days when I laughed out loud at the antics of my beloved characters.  That's what I strive for as a writer....to entertain my readers and myself.  It makes the journey all the sweeter.


So far, the details have been scant about the movie.  But that’s all right, since it has allowed me to play junior detective online.  I managed to find some fun pictures of the actors-actresses and the snowy setting.  I know it was filmed in three locations in Canada....Barrie, Thornton and Creemore).



This is my hero Finn O'Rourke played by Victor Zinck Jr. I think he's all types of gorgeous.


This actress (Kimberly Sue Murrary ) plays a character named Andrea and appears to be getting top billing, although my heroine is named Maggie.  I think it's possible they changed her name and this is the heroine. She's starred in a number of tv movies and is lovely.


This actress, Lanette Ware, is confirmed as playing the role of Hazel, who owns the Black Bear Cabins in the town of Love and is a den mother of sorts to the women who come to town.



Here's a picture of Kym Johnson (from Dancing with the Stars) filming on set in Canada. Notice the seaplanes in the background? Finn is a pilot.  I have no idea who she's playing but the IMDB page says her name is Emma in the film but I didn't have a grown-up Emma.  Emma was a baby.  LOL



I'm thrilled to see the movie when it comes out (December of 2019?) and I hope to soon have more details to share with everyone.  Some of the actresses were using the hashtag #uptv so I'm thinking maybe it will land there as well as Netflix.  I can't wait to find out.  Blessings! 


28 comments:

  1. What an amazing, surprise, Belle. I'm so thrilled for you. Can't wait to see the movie. Keep up updated on the details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mary. I will definitely keep everyone posted. I don't know a whole lot right now, but hopefully details will be forthcoming. It's very exciting. Blessings!

      Delete
  2. How exciting! I can't wait to see the movie. Keep us posted. Hope you will create an entire Pinterest board on your movie project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. It's very exciting. What a great idea about a Pinterest board. I hadn't even thought of doing that. Wonderful idea.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Tracey. I'm excited to see the end result. It's funny how you fantasize about something, never realizing it's actually happening. Blessings!

      Delete
  4. Major congrats, Belle. I can well imagine you are over the moon happy. Keep us posted on any developments. The Lord has blessed all of us with your success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Patricia. I love finding out any tidbits of information, so I'll be happy to share any developments. God has been good to me. I feel very blessed. Blessings!

      Delete
  5. It was a great book, so hope they don't change it too much. And yay if it makes it's way to Netflix! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Patty. And I'm so glad you enjoyed the book. I am thinking the same thing as you. I hope they keep the sweet elements and don't cut Oliver out of the story. He was really the heart of it...a little boy's heart and a cherished dream. But we shall see what they do with the material. Blessings!

      Delete
  6. Congrats, Belle! I am so happy for you. Hope I get to see the movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jackie. I'm thrilled. And I sure hope the movie is available in many venues such as tv and Netflix.

      Delete
  7. Belle, I'm so proud of you!!! And so thrilled that your talent has been recognized by the film industry! More to come, I'm sure!

    Watching a film written by an author friend is so fantastic. I get over-the-moon excited and have to tell everyone! Please, please, please, let us know when and where we can see your story! Can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kinds words and support, Debby. I'm truly trying to enjoy the moment and not fret about the details lol. I will definitely keep everyone posted. I'm anxious to hear more news which has been promised by Harlequin.

      Delete
  8. Such awesome news! And it couldn't happen to a better person. Congratulations!! I can't wait to see your story come to life on the screen, Belle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Angel. It really has been blessed news. You really never know what's around the corner. Thank you so much for all of your support and wisdome. Blessings!

      Delete
  9. This is deliriously happy news!! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sara! Thanks so much. It really is the happiest of news. I'm absolutely over the moon about it. I'm a bit nervous about the actual story being told but hopefully they will capture the heart of the book.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Hi, Evelyn! Yes, indeed. The news has been fabulous and I have been quietly celebrating and smiling a lot to myself. God is good!

      Delete
  11. Love how you got to use your detective skills. So excited to see this happening for you. They should make it a series....I hope they do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jolene! Well, in another life I was a federal Investigator, so I do have some serious sleuthing skills. Thanks for all of your support. And from your lips to God's ears. I would love to have that happen. Blessings.

      Delete
  12. Thrilling!!!!!!! Such wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dana. I'm really hoping it is available on outlets where people can really tune in. I'm still pinching myself. I'll be a nervous wreck when it comes out next Christmas! Blessings.

      Delete
  13. Exciting and cool, Belle. Can’t wait to see the movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lenora. I'm really happy about it. It will be a surreal experience to watch it, but I am excited and feel very blessed.

      Delete
  14. Congratulations, Belle, can't wait to see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marie. And congrats on your PW best seller's status. It's all so terribly exciting. We are blessed authors!

      Delete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive