FEATURED BOOK AND INTERVIEW: RANCHER UNDER FIRE BY VICKIE McDONOUGH
SABOTAGE AT ANGELFIRE RANCH
Jackson Durant would go to any lengths to protect his young daughter and his ranch. He knows the puzzling incidents on his homestead are no accidents. Someone is after him…but who? And why? Reporter Mariah Reyes is determined to find out. She never expected her pursuit of a story on the reclusive rancher would endanger her life—nor that she'd fall for the cowboy. But when Jackson's daughter is kidnapped, she'll do anything to help save the little girl—even if it means becoming a target herself.
Today we're welcoming Jackson Durant, the hero of Rancher Under Fire by Vickie McDonough, a September, 2014, release by Love Inspired Suspense.
Wow, you've just had quite an adventure.
1. Tell us a little about yourself and how you came to be in the midst of such suspense. I used to be a pro quarterback but now I’m a rancher. I left football the day my daughter was born. I didn’t want her raised in the cut-throat world I lived in back then. We’ve had a good, quiet life—at least until recently. Weird things started happening several months ago. Fences have been cut and my horses have gotten out. A stock tank was shot full of holes. And there’s more. At first, I thought it might be teens, although most of the youth around here tend to look up to me, so I don’t think it’s one of them. But I don’t have any enemies—at least none that I know of. So who could be doing these destructive things? And why?
2. So, during the book you met Mariah Reyes. Tell us a bit about her. What was your first impression? First impressions? She nearly ran over my daughter. I was more than a little angry when I met her. I just wanted her gone. When did you know it was love? I have no clue. Maybe during the worst days of my life when Mariah stuck by my side and tried to help me through them.
3. What strengths/skills do you have? Physically, I’m strong. I was in sports all my life, and now I’m a rancher, doing physical work every day. I’d like to think I’m smart and have a good head for horses. What is your greatest weakness? That’s easy—my daughter.
4. What scares you? That something will happen to Hailey. I lost my wife in a car accident, so I know how fast life can change
5. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? I’d change the man I was in the past. Back then, I enjoyed being a celebrity. Enjoyed being in the limelight and the life that came with it at times. I had no goal but to succeed in football and make as much money as I could, and be popular. I didn’t care if I had to run down someone else to obtain that. I was selfish and shallow.
6. Where are you in your faith at the start of your story? I’m a godly man. I attend church and read my Bible. Like all people, I could be closer to God, but I believe in Him and trust Him.
7. Where are you in your faith at the end of the story? My faith has certainly been tested. I’m much closer to God now. He got me through the worst days of my life—got me through a time when I didn’t know if I could go on.
8. You've got a scripture at the beginning of the story. Tell us why this scripture is significant.
“But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” Isaiah 40:31
I’ve always had an attraction to eagles. They’re magnificent birds, and there are many things about them I find interesting. Did you know they mate for life? Anyway, this was one of the first scriptures that I memorized. I’ve remembered it during hard times, especially those I endured lately.
9. If you could be a dessert what would you be and why? Come on now—that’s a dumb question. Ask me something about horses.