Hello everyone, Winnie Griggs here. Did you know that September was National Honey Month? Since honey is one of my favorite sweeteners (especially for hot tea) I thought I'd look up some trivia and fun facts relating to honey and honey bees to share with you.
- There are over 300 unique types of honey identified in the US alone. The flavor of honey is derived from the nectar source the bee gathers from.
- Honey bees are not native to the Americas but came over with some of the first colonists
- Honey contains every substance needed to sustain human life, including water, minerrals, enzymes and vitamins.
- Honey is the only food that contains pinocembrin, an antioxidant that has been shown to improve brain function
- A single honeybee will only produce about 1/12 teaspoon of honey during its entire life
- Honey contains natural preservatives. Vats of sealed honey were found in King Tut’s tomb that still contained edible honey after being stored for over 2,000 years.
What do you think - did any of that surprise you? Do you like honey and if so, what's your favorite way to eat it?
TEXAS CINDERELLA - A Sept. 2016 Release
In Search of a Groom
After a life of drudgery on her family's farm, Cassie Lynn Vickers relishes her freedom working in town as a paid companion for feisty Mrs. Flanagan. When her father suddenly demands she come home, she has no choice. Unless she can find a husband. If only she could convince handsome town newcomer Riley Walker to marry her…
Riley is on the run. He's desperate to keep his niece and nephew safe from his crooked half brother. But a delay in Turnabout, Texas, shows him everything he didn't know he was missing: home, family—and Cassie Lynn. Can he find a way to become her Prince Charming…and build a real family with the children and Cassie Lynn?