Tuesday, June 27, 2017

National Sunglasses Day by Merrillee Whren

This is a crazy photo of my hubby and me while we were sitting in an ancient privy at the ruins of Ephesus on one of our European trips. We were good tourists because we were wearing our sunglasses. Today in the United States it is National Sunglasses Day. This isn't just another frivolous holiday. The Vision Council is promoting National Sunglasses Day to bring attention to the importance of wearing sunglasses to protect your eyes against ultraviolet light, which can do damage to your eyes.

Many of us are quick to put on sunscreen to protect our skin against UV rays, but are we as quick to protect our eyes?  If you spend a whole day outside without sunglasses you can have immediate or temporary problems such as swollen or red eyes, and hypersensitivity to light. Years of unprotected eyes can result in cancer of the eye or eyelid. UV exposure can also accelerate the growth of cataracts and age-related macular degeneration.

For the health of your eyes, put on your sunglasses. Since we can't post photos in the comment section here. Please go to our Facebook page and post a photo of yourself in your sunglasses. I will give away a copy of one of my Love Inspired books to anyone who posts a photo. The giveaway ends on June 28, 2017 at 9PM MST.

Do you make a habit of wearing sunglasses when you are outside?

Today through the end of June, the first book in my Front Porch Promises series, A PLACE TO CALL HOME, is on sale for 99 cents. Be sure to get a copy. You can find buy links on my website.



Merrillee Whren is the winner of the 2003 Golden Heart Award presented by Romance Writers of American. She is married to her own personal hero, her husband of forty-plus years, and has two grown daughters. Connect with her on her Facebook page and sign up for her newsletter.


24 comments:

  1. I do make a habit of wearing sunglasses. Maybe because I wear contacts, I'm not sure, but my eyes hurt if I don't wear sunglasses outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I used to wear contacts and always needed sunglasses, too.

      Delete
  2. I'm like you, Lisa Carter. I can't stand to be outdoors without sunglasses. I'm blaming it on my blue eyes. I seem to recall that those with blue and green eyes are more sensitive to sunlight??? Regardless, there's apparently a healthy positive side to that sensitivity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine, I'm not sure about the blue eyes or green eyes being more sensitive, but it's important to put on your sunglasses.

      Delete
  3. I wear them when I'm outside unless it is cloudy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I tend not to wear them when it's cloudy also, but I read that you can get a sunburn even on a cloudy day.

      Delete
  4. I have transition lens on my regular glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, I used to have those. My hubby had a pair that he wore when we went to a glacier in Alaska. Even though it was a cloudy day his glasses turned nearly black from the white reflection of the snow.

      Delete
  5. I need to wear sunglasses, especially in Spring and Summer. This is a good reminder that I need a new pair before I head to the RWA conference in Florida. Thanks, Merrillee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like sunglasses, but can't seem to walk while wearing them. haha! So, I squint and then, once I sit down I put on my sunglasses. hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, that interesting. The sunglasses must distort your vision. Take care when walking.

      Delete
  7. I usually wear sunglasses if I can actually remember where I left them last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, ha, ha. That used to be me. Now I wear regular glasses all the time and have sun clips. They are small so they fit into my purse easily, and I have another pair that I have in my tennis bag.

      Delete
  8. What a cute picture! Hope you had a delightful time on your latest trip to Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My glasses are transition and change on their own. We were actually at the privy in Ephesus but I wouldn't sit on them. My OCD wouldn't let me. My husband laughed at me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great blog topic, Merrilee! I'm guilty of not wearing sunglasses enough. Thanks for the push...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post and a great reminder. Thank you. I wear my prescription sunglasses most of the time I go outside. Or a hat to shade my eyes. I have light blue eyes that are very sensitive to the sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, I like to wear a hat and sunglasses.

      Delete
  12. What a cute picture!

    I always wear my sunglasses outside. I always wondered if it was because they were blue, but they are very sensitive to the light.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry I couldn't do this because I didn't get the article until July first! Boobhoo

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive