Monday, February 22, 2010

Mary or Martha?


Hi, this is Janet Tronstad here. I wanted to share with you a question our pastor asked in church this morning. Are you a Mary or a Martha (as in busy or thoughtful)? It turns out most people in the congregation thought they were a Martha and not a Mary. I guess the pastor wasn't surprised because his whole sermon was on how Christians tend to get too busy. It was particularly interesting to me because I've been thinking a lot lately about how I can fill up my days with things to do and don't always get done the things I really want to do. I've made a pact with myself to take it slower and do less that I don't want to do (not always easy as someone is always asking). I'm wondering who else feels like that? I'm not sure we ever solve this problem, but I do think we periodically need to adjust our list of things to do.

7 comments:

  1. I've sat during many a Mary Martha sermon, problem is... it's hard to find the balance. I've been Martha and burned out. On the other hand, if there's too many Marys in a church, no one's teaching children's Bible class or staying after to clean up after a potluck. LOL, maybe we need to introduce a Maribel who is the combination of both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Pamela! :)

    You know, Janet, saying no is a learned skill! :) It's something we should learn to do, though. Sometimes there are jobs we shouldn't accept, because maybe God has someone else in mind that needs to do it! :) That's what I tell myself after saying no, anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pamela -- You're right about things needing to be done and that's what usually gets me in trouble with agreeing to do too many things.

    And Missy -- hopefully you are right and the things that we say no to are picked up by someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a Martha while the girls were young but now that I am turning 60 next month, I am a Mary. In a way, I've always been a Mary as I've always loved to sit aside time to sit at Jesus feet for 51 years. I cannot go on without some fresh word to fill my mind and drive the enemy away.
    jrs362(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Squiresj -- that's a beautiful post and a good reminder that our roles change in different seasons of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL -- I just read through these responses and saw I had a deleted post. That sounds mysterious, doesn't it? I had just posted the same thing twice (I didn't know the first one had gone through) -- so I deleted the second one not realizing it would show as a deleted post.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive