Monday, June 11, 2012

Allie Pleiter talks about being "between books"


I take a week off between manuscripts, and I have a collection of fun things I do to take the mental vacation I need between stories. It won’t come as a surprise to many of you that I knit a lot, I do lots of lunches and coffees with friends I’ve ignored while in deadline dementia, plot and plan LIFE things instead of book things, and usually take in a movie or two (or four).

Funny thing is, I find a almost never read.  


Which is odd, because there’s usually a huge stack of books around my house that I’m dying to get to but can’t find enough time while I’m writing.  And yet, I actually prefer to read while I’m writing.  I just have to make sure that what I’m reading isn’t the same genre as what I’m writing.  That means, I read historicals while I’m working on a contemporary novel, and dive into contemporary stories while I’m working on an historical.

The more I thought about it, the more I had the same “ritual” between books.  I can’t start a new book the same day I finish an old one.  I think that’s because I usually make a big deal out of choosing a book that’s totally different from my last one.  And while I’m always devouring two or three books at once (one fiction book, one non-fiction book, and one audiobook), the switch-over rule still holds.  Yes, I realize this doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, but I hadn’t even realized I had such a complicated system until I sat down and thought about it.

I suppose that’s my brain’s way of holding all those balls in the air while I juggle the many tasks of life and career.  What about you?  Do you have things you do between books? Between writing projects--or sewing projects, or decorating projects?

4 comments:

  1. One week off is good, Allie. I tend to need two weeks. Can't even think of a new hero or heroine during that time. Guess I'm still so attached to the last characters that I don't want to let them go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually collapse for a couple of days after I send off a book. But I guess I should plan in some vacation time between them. It would be nice to refresh!

    Although, I usually try to make time for movies about once a month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. Maybe I should try the one week thing but I usually take more depending on how draining the manuscript was. Some are so muc easier than otehrs. Currently I'm on way more than a week, try a couple of months, but life has intruded in a big way and with a few passes on some proposals, it's been hard to get motivated. I actually read, because I have the time then. Interesting to think about. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know Jillian Hart takes a bit of time of between books to rest, relax and veg out.

    I can imagine you need the break.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive