Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Where do Story Ideas Come From?

Mati Hari


Patty here, and I’m knee-deep in rewrites for my next Love Inspired Historical coming out next year. This is my third World War II book based around the Bell Bomber Plant in Marietta, Georgia. I’m always excited to share a new story, but the history behind this one truly amazed even a WWII fanatic like me.

If you’re familiar with the time period, one of the biggest concerns of the government was the possibility of German spies infiltrating the defense plants around the country and passing on information to the forces back in Berlin. So I was very surprised--and terribly interested when a lovely older lady stayed behind after one of my 
book signings to share her story of being one of the few female homeland spies. She was forced to make hard choices about the people she knew, reporting suspicious activities even on the ones  she loved.

Her service during the war so captivated me, I was convinced that boarding house owner Merrilee Davenport (who made an appearance in Hearts in Flight and Hearts in Hiding) would make a perfect homeland spy! But can she investigate the people she loves most in the world, including her former husband, John Davenport?

And my mother is always asking me where I come up with the stuff for my books.  God(and history) provides enough fodder for a lifetime!
       

9 comments:

  1. Patty that is soooo interesting! Can you imagine being a spy? Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This lady was interesting, but what was so funny is her husband had worked in the development of the B-29s I had wrote about and he was so into talking planes with me, I wouldn't have heard her story if not for my wonderful husband!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patty, what a great post. And isn't it amazing how we find ideas from everywhere. And normally it's the ones we aren't really seeking out that can be the most impactful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patty I enjoyed reading your post. There are so many great ideas for stories in history.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes, you've just convinced me to go out and buy the books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to everyone for joining me today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this, Patty--and I'll be eager to read your books (especially since they're set in my home state of Georgia *smile*). Blessings, Patti Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great source. It's amazing to talk to people who did work that no one ever knew about!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive