Monday, September 9, 2013

Soups On by Terri Reed

Fall is here, along with cooler weather and refreshing rain.  I love this time of year.  I love the way the leaves change color.  I love hot tea in the morning and hot soup at night.  
This is my favorite soup recipe.  I thought I'd share it with you.  Enjoy.

Tomato Basil Soup

3 Tablespoons butter
1 large onion, sliced
1 large carrot, peeled and grated
4 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup lightly packed chopped fresh basil
3/4 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
salt to taste
thin slices of lemon
fresh basil leaves
shaved parmesan

In 3-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.  Add onion and carrot and cook until onion is transparent, stirring frequently.  Stir in tomatoes, basil, sugar, and white pepper.  Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.  Reduce heat and simmer covered for 10 minutes.  Cool slightly.  Pour into food processor or blender and puree until smooth.  Return to pan and stir in broth and salt.  Heat until steaming.  Ladle into individual bowls and float 1 thin lemon slice topped with a basil leaf and parmesan in each bowl.  Serves 6-8



8 comments:

  1. Yum, just in time for all the tomatoes coming in in my garden. I love to add rice to my tomato soup for an extra-filling meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Missy. I love this soup too Dana. Its my comfort food with a grilled cheese sandwich. Yum.
    Sandra our neighbors have a tomato garden growing they've said I can have what I want off out it. I think I'll go snag some ripe ones and make this tonight to go with the salmon I bought this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this soup, except for the carrots! Here in AZ we had an unusually cool day! Soup daym definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!! I'm going to have to try this. It looks and sounds so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sure wish it would get cool enough for soup around here! But we have another two months to wait, I think. I do love me some good soup! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sure wish it would get cool enough for soup around here! But we have another two months to wait, I think. I do love me some good soup! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive