Monday, January 27, 2014

Working Toward a Goal by Merrillee Whren

I'm a big tennis fan. I love to play tennis, and I love to watch it. In fact, this morning I was playing tennis while people were trying to contact me to let me know it was my day to blog. Thus the late arrival of a blog post.

The Australian Open Tennis Championships were played during the past two weeks in Melbourne, Australia. Stan Wawrinka is the men's champion for this year. This is his first tennis grand slam title. For years he has played in the shadow of Roger Federer, a fellow Swiss countryman. I first saw Stan Wawrinka play when my husband and I went to The Wimbledon Tennis Championships in 2008. Since that time I have followed his career and seen how hard he has worked to attain this goal. I was thrilled to see him win.

Attaining one's goal usually takes hard work no matter what that goal is. In our stories, our characters have goals. As writers we try to put obstacles in front of our characters to make achieving that goal harder. Without those difficulties the story would probably be very boring. As romance readers we like to see the characters overcome the obstacles and achieve those goals on their way to a happy ending.

Have you achieved a goal that you've worked hard for, or is there a goal that you are working towards? Please share it with us.





Merrillee Whren is an award-winning author who writes inspirational romance. She is the winner of the 2003 Golden Heart Award for best inspirational romance manuscript presented by Romance Writers of America. She has also been the recipient of the RT Reviewers’ Choice Award and the Maggie Award for Excellence. She is married to her own personal hero, her husband of thirty plus years, and has two grown daughters. She has lived in Atlanta, Boston, Dallas, Chicago and Florida but now makes her home in the Arizona desert. When she’s not writing or working for her husband’s recruiting firm, she spends her free time playing tennis or walking while she does the plotting for her novels. Please visit her Web site at or connect with her on Facebook.

5 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you play tennis, Merrillee! Wow, you must be in terrific shape.
    Although I'm as yet unpublished, I do set writing goals for myself, and it's such a great feeling when I achieve them!
    Thank you for sharing this post today.
    Hugs from Georgia, Patti Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patti Jo,
    I don't know about being in shape, but tennis is great exercise and a lot of fun, too. Best wishes for all of your writing goals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with another GA lady, CatMom.....great you can be so active.
    I so want to get back to my daily walking....but have a ways to go with this facet joint syndrome....yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merrillee, it was perfect tennis weather here yesterday! But today, it's snowing. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. late posting. I saw parts of the Aussie open. was to tired to watch to much of the finals still have no idea who won the doubles.
    (we are now going back to the heatwave of the first week of the open).
    My goal was to get to America and meet my friend and see Gettysburg and I got to do that last May.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive