Thursday, September 28, 2017

How Do You Fit Reading into Your Day?

Hello! Meghan Carver here.

When I was a child, I read all the time.

Seriously.

All. The. Time.

When I was in middle school, I spent an entire day on summer break reading Uncle Tom’s Cabin. It hadn’t been assigned, since we were out of school. But I had heard of it and was curious. It was so good, I barely moved from the couch and read it in one day.

Now, decades later, I have six children, I homeschool, I write, I keep house {sort-of}. There are too many responsibilities to list. You know what I mean. J

I can no longer spend an entire day reading. Some days, I can barely find five minutes to read.

How’s a busy girl to fit it in?

{Shameless photo plug: 
My daughter reading my August Love Inspired Suspense, 
Deadly Disclosure, which is still available online.}

Of course, there’s always staying up late or getting up early. Too often, I stay up late. {Can I get an amen? J}

But I’ve found another few ways to fit in reading. Keep your book or kindle handy when you ~~

Cook. When I wait for something in the oven or I’m stirring something in the pot, I read. Of course, be mindful of your time or you might burn the Christmas caramels. Don’t ask me how I know.

Brush your teeth. If your book is really good, you’ll get in a few more minutes on your pearly whites.

Wait in line. At the pharmacy, in the grocery store, at the school.

Have to sit through a boring movie. Sometimes, there are movies that others in my family want to watch, but I just don’t. But movie-watching is sometimes a family activity, and that husband or that child just wants me to sit next to them. Why not read?

Shower. I haven’t actually tried this, and it may not work well with a print book. But with a neoprene, weather-proof, zip-up case for a kindle, reading can be done in the shower.

My kindle is always in my purse. ALWAYS. Any spare moment, out it comes.

I’m always on the lookout for more tips, though. How do you fit reading into your day?











You can find me at www.meghancarver.com or on Facebook

20 comments:

  1. Hi Meghan! Your post made me laugh. I've read through movies too. And while waiting. But it never occurred to me to read in the shower. I'm afraid I'd drain the hot water! Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little afraid to try something like that. I would forget to condition or ruin my kindle. But it's a neat idea!

      Delete
  2. My prime time for pleasure reading is between 10 and 11 p.m., propped up in bed. I can tell if it's a really good book if I don't find myself drifting off to sleep mid-chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my oldest son was in college, his girlfriend came to me to complain that he read too much. "He reads while he's standing in line at McDonalds!"
    I laughed at her. "Honey, you're talking to the wrong woman. Not only am I writer, I take a book with me to the movie theater just in case the film doesn't hold my interest."
    Needless to say, she didn't last very long.
    I have the Kindle app on my phone, so my books go everywhere I go. And, yes, I tend to stay up much too late. Reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great story, Arlene! We've joked with our teens about someday-boyfriends or someday-girlfriends not making the cut because they don't like to read, and now there it is in real life. It's a legitimate criteria. :-)

      Delete
  4. Great post, Meghan. I love to read although it is difficult to find time for it. I grew up across the street from a public library which shaped me for life. I think it's why I'm a writer. And to this day I get so excited when I enter a library. For me, the best reading time is at the beach or on a car ride when my husband is driving. Lately though, he's been very chatty so I can't concentrate lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Across from the library? Oh, I love it! The bookmobile used to park in front of the vacant lot next to our house, and it was heaven for a half-hour.

      Delete
  5. I snatch five minutes here or five minutes there. I often wish I could be two people. One to read and one to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you figure out how to clone yourself, will you share the secret? :-)

      Delete
  6. I read every evening while my husband watches TV next to me. I also read in the tub (not shower :) ) and bring my Kindle with me when I have appointments or have to drive my son to an appointment and wait for him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, oh, I read in line too! And, I read in the car when my husband is driving, just a little, though, because I get carsick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do as well, Pamela. I love the lack of other distractions while I'm in the car, but if I'm not on the interstate, I just can't do anything but look out the window.

      Delete
  8. I have burned some meals reading and cooking at the same time! I have been able to read so much more than I used to since the Kindle app. I know the screen is small on the phone, but I can turn the pages black (with white letters), turn nightshift mode on and read after hubby has gone to sleep. So I definitely stay up too late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I LOVE my kindle! It's so easy to take everywhere, lightweight, pages don't flip back, etc., etc., etc. Maybe I need to do a post about that and see what sort of a debate we can get going? :-)

      Delete
  9. Via kindle during wait times at doctor or eating dinner, staying up late

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think to mention during dinner. We don't let the children read while we eat supper as a family, but every once in a while, I get out by myself. Then, I definitely read while I eat. Thanks! :-)

      Delete
  10. Meghan, that shower reading made me laugh! I read mostly at night before I go to sleep. Sometimes, I read on my Kindle app while listening to music or with the tv in the background. I have a "reading" chair in our little library room at the back of our house. Love reading there on a raining day since I can see outside into the backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also read on my kindle sometimes during a movie that hubby is interested in but I'm not. It's easier to read during lunch on my kindle. Mostly I read at bedtime with a real book. Or in the afternoons-- I'm retired.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive