Monday, June 17, 2019

Let's Talk About Animals!

I was pondering what I wanted to talk about today--what element of writing or faith or
life in general that would be fun to share. And then I looked out my office window and saw
cows coming up to get a drink from their trough, and I had it!
Animals! Let’s talk about animals!
I love animals--my husband would quickly tell you--maybe a leetle too much! I’ve featured at
least one animal in each of my books so far. And I'm not a bit sorry, either--I think animals add a
fun sparkle to stories.

In my first book, A FAMILY FOR THE FARMER, I introduced Glory the world's bossiest
goose.
She even made the cover--no surprise--because she totally stole the show (and eventually the
wedding ring!) I loved writing about Glory--partly because I based her on our beloved “Goosey”
who patrols our barnyard to this very day.
Additional characters in that book pulled from our personal barn family included Beulah the milk cow
Beulah in the shade











and an assortment of Oberhasli 
dairy goats
Our youngest son loves goats!


In A BABY FOR THE MINISTER, another goat--an escape artist called Rufus--butted his way
into the heroine’s heart. While I don’t actually have a goat named Rufus, he is a combination of
numerous billy goats we have owned over the years.
   


      Goats are such gems--their unique personalities make them perfect for adding a dash of humor to any situation! (Whether you want it or not!)

Then in HOMETOWN HOPE (releasing tomorrow--woo hoo!) I added a puppy into the mix!
This is my daughter’s beloved Pembroke Welsh Corgi “Nugget.”




The puppy in my story was actually a mixed breed shelter rescue, but his mischievous personality? That was one hundred percent Nugget!

And this week I’m wrapping up my final edits for my fourth Love Inspired, A RANCHER TO
TRUST, coming out in January 2020. The four-legged star of that story? Lucy Ball--Beulah’s very
curious calf. Check out this attitude:
                       See why I couldn't resist putting her in a book? Isn’t she adorable?


So tell me--what animal has its paws (or claws or hooves) on your heart? Extra points if you
share a picture in the comments!

Laurel Blount lives on a small farm in middle Georgia with her husband, their four children, and an assortment of very spoiled animals.
She divides her time between farm chores, homeschooling, and writing. She's busy, but at least she's never bored! Laurel writes inspirational contemporary romance, and Hometown Hope is her third title for Harlequin’s Love Inspired. Whenever she's not working, you can find her with a cup of tea at her elbow, a cat in her lap, and a good book in her hand. Stay in touch by signing up for Laurel's monthly newsletter here !

18 comments:

  1. I loved Rufus because he reminds me of our goat, Elvis. Elvis is an escape artist, oh boy. He is completely crazy and totally lovable. I look forward to more of your stories and more of the critters. Its not allowing me to post a picture of our naughty boy.

    Lisa Sapp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh,no! I'd hoped we'd get to see pictures of your pets!! Oh, well--I'm afraid I'm not very techy so I don't know how to resolve that. Elvis--now that is the PERFECT name for a goat!!

      Delete
  2. What a great group of animals you have, Laurel. I love reading stories with animals in them. Can't wait to read about yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! We love 'em--and they sure keep us on our toes!

      Delete
  3. Funny you should post about this today, Laurel, since I was just reading Jan Drexler's posts about the dogs she has loved and lost over the years. The only animal with paws on my heart is my miracle dog, Fenway. We almost lost him to cancer at 7. Even with two surgeries and chemo, the best they could give us was a year. He just turned 11, hence the miracle dog description! He's my boy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Cate--that is such a wonderful story. Yay, Fenway!! He showed them all, didn't he?--and that name is just perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you give tours of your farm, Laurel?

    I featured my two grand dogs in stories. Love your animals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, our little farm is just a fun hobby, so we've never done tours. I just love that you put your grand dogs in your books--I bet that tickled your kids!

      Delete
  6. Your animals are fantastic in your books! I've enjoyed their antics 😀 Dot is my furry friend with mad skills of getting in my bedroom lol when the door rattles in the middle of the night, iritjust Dot working on getting it open 😂🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Abiyah! Is Dot a cat? Our cat does the same thing in the middle of the night--drives me batty! Cats do have some seriously mad skills--especially when you're trying to sleep!But we love them anyway!

      Delete
  7. I like all animals in Laurel's books! They are so entertaining and opinionated. They have character, just like in life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alla! Animals really do have their own personalities, don't they?? Makes them so much fun to include in stories!

      Delete
  8. I enjoy books featuring animals and am sure I would love your books. I live in GA, also. We have lots of deer, armadillo, rabbits, and others. At present, we don't have a pet (age!) but have loved them in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jackie! Love hearing from my Georgia folks!! We have the animals you mentioned too! I especially love watching the deer--except when they get into my vegetable garden! We also have a lot of turkeys here--I always enjoy seeing the hen turkeys with their babies. So cute!

      Delete
  9. What a charming post, Laurel. I love animals too and my 16 year old wants to be a vet. How lucky you are to have your farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my sweet friend! How wonderful that your teen wants to become a vet--our vets are our heroes around here!

      Delete
  10. I'm a dog girl. I have an Australian shepherd who keeps me busy with agility and walks. She super smart. I love writing books with dogs. I just added a kitty to my current story. I'm allergic but my heroine isn't. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Australian shepherds are such beautiful dogs, Terri! And I haven't yet written a story with a cat--but I love them, so maybe one day!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive