Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Cabin Fever

I am one of those people who like winter. Which is good since I live in the northwoods of Wisconsin, just an hour or so from the southern shore of Lake Superior.

But this year, I'm dealing with an unusual situation. I had surgery three days before Christmas. Everything is going well. But I am going out less. And doing less around the home.

Today the dust has gotten to me so I'm going to enlist my husband to vacuum. I will try to do a little dusting and putting away. I think that alone will make me feel better.

One of the main things I like about winter is watching snow fall. And it is snowing today. But it is a very fine snow against a "snow" sky that flat kind of white sky that often foretells snow.

So it's not good "snow" viewing. Bummer.

And
yesterday I sent my husband to pick up some prescriptions and asked him to pick me up some ice cream.

I love ice cream. I usually don't keep it around the house for obvious reasons. GRIN

I asked him to get me something with fruit in it like strawberry or cherry or whatever they had that looked interesting.

So! What did he bring me?? Butter Pecan.

Now I looked at him and was speechless for a few minutes. If I thought he'd done this on purpose, I would have been mad. But we've been married over 30 years. I know that he just forgot what I said.

He's going out to work at the local food pantry now and I said that he could stop at the local Culver's on the way home and see if they had a good flavor of the day. (Culver's is a Wisconsin based fast-food franchise which has food that tastes almost home-cooked and it also has custard, not soft serve. It's delicious!)

So we'll see if he remembers my custard or not. GRIN

I think you can tell from the aimlessness of this post that I INDEED have cabin fever. I would enjoy going out to lunch with a friend. Do some after Christmas bargain shopping. But keeping inside to recover prohibits that kind of thing for a while.

Therefore, you get the fruit of my rambling. Do you know a good joke? A surprising little known fact? A good compliment would help me. Read any of my books and enjoyed them? Please help cheer up Lyn. Please.

Now, I'm going to go over to my blog http://www.strongwomenbravestories.blogspot.com
I'm going to ramble there about Christmases that my late mother made special.

But please give me something to smile about. And banish my cabin fever!


11 comments:

  1. I could bore you silly with little known facts:

    ...A duck's quack doesn't echo.
    ...In every episode of Seinfeld there is a Superman somewhere
    ...An ostrich's eye is bigger than it's brain
    ...every time you lick a stamp, you're consuming 1/10 of a calorie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lyn, I feel for you with cabin fever. I don't get that much here in Louisiana where the weather can change at the drop of a hat. We keep shorts out all year to wear with sweaters all year! I had a great "cabin fever" day Saturday. Everyone went away--my husband, my visiting daughter and my son. Just me, myself, the cat and the visiting "grand-dog". I plotted and watched an NCIS marathon on tv. In my pj's and slippers, thank you very much. Had some chocolate along the way, too. It was rainy and stormy and I got my magazine work done and then set in for some nice writerly time. So that was a fun kind of cabin fever!

    Lenora :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Ellen, thank you for letting me know stamps were that fattening! Now I can eat more ice cream!

    I'm thinking of asking my dh to bring me home an eggnog shake from Culver's. What do you think I'll get this time? A cheeseburger? GRIN

    And Lenora, I've never worn shorts with a sweater. It sounds like an interesting LOOK. Do you wear shoes or sandals with that ensemble?

    Hugs,
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL on fattening stamps. Wonder where the calories come from. I use the no lick king on my mail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello from Georgia, Lyn! Sorry about your cabin fever ~ ~ Do you enjoy watching old movies? I mean really old movies, such as SINGING IN THE RAIN, MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS, etc.--the kind that just make you feel good to watch! (I hardly ever watch TV or movies, but LOVE those old classics). Also, you need cats! *grin* They are great mood-lifters(I have 6)and they've been SO much company for me since I had to quit teaching last year (also good if you're dealing with grief). ~ Wish you could send some snow down south! ~ Blessings, Patti Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks CatMom,
    I have three cats and they do entertain and comfort me. It always amazes me how cats "know" if I am down or sick. They come close and purr and comfort me.

    And I'm with you on old movies. I just watch YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU a couple of nights ago.

    I love the 1930's fashions. Those floaty, feminine dresses. Why don't they come back into fashion?

    You should drop by my other blog and read about "I Remember Mama," another old movie. Do you remember it?
    Grinning,
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cabin fever is no fun. Lots of hot chocolate. And, I agree, old movies. Of course, lunch would be nice. It's one of my favorite things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear you have cabin fever and hope you get better soon. I love Culver's and think the custard might be the right thing to bring a smile to your face. I hope you get it.

    You can try to do some shopping online. Kohl's, Target, Macy's and other department stores have some good bargains online and Fannie May's has half off some of their candy. yum! lol Harry and David has some bargains, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, up here in Canada, we combat cabin fever by playing wii.

    Waaahaaaahaahaaaaa.

    Who needs to go to a cold rink and have my nose run at 80 miles an hour when I can stay in my warm living room and curl against my hubby.

    Well, I could curl up against my hubby, too, but we're just talking curling here.

    Of course, I could curl against the computer, but hubby is the curler in the family and he challenged me. And in the final end, the score was tied 5 to 5 and I had final rock. Yippee...I lined up my direction...I set my curl...I raised my rock and let 'er slide...and I missed!!! I was supposed to hit my own rock and nudge it into the centre, but I slid past it by mere inches...and hubby won the game 8-5.

    And, he walked away happy which I guess is the thing anyway, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Fannie May 1/2 price!

    I'm there!
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lyn, I hope you're up and about soon!

    When I get cabin fever I sometimes shop online like Kammie. And I do love to watch TV. Old movies. The Food Network. TLC. We watched a marathon day of What Not To Wear just the other day. :)

    Missy

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive