Friday, April 24, 2009

Renewing Your Mind


You're probably wondering what the above photo has to do with renewal. That's a photo of me standing in my yard next to a pile of pine straw bales. For those of you who don't live in the southeastern US, pine needles aka pine straw are used to mulch flower beds and natural areas. We have a huge yard, and it requires eighty to one hundred bales of pine straw twice a year. It's a big job, but when I finish the yard looks fantastic. All the natural areas are renewed. I love working outside in God's creation, and I've been itching to get out in the yard and renew the pine straw, especially when I take a walk and see that my neighbors have put out new pine straw. I haven't tackled the spreading of pine straw this year because I'm too busy meeting my newest book deadline, so the pine straw will have to wait until I turn in my book.

The following scripture from Romans 12:1-2 talks about renewing our minds. "1Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. 2Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."

Just as the flower beds and natural areas of my yard need renewing, we need to renew our minds by keeping them in tune with God. What do you do to keep in tune with God?

Merrillee

1 comment:

  1. Great question, Merrillee,
    (Was that too many lllls?)

    That particular verse about renewing your mind is one I hear often in my faith walk. And boy, do I need the reminder. Just this past couple of weeks I was becoming spiritually sluggish and cranky--which generally means I need some knee time. That's what renewing your mind means to me - Getting into the Word, meditating on Jesus and then spending some time listening to the Holy Spirit.

    I need more of that!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive