Thursday, January 11, 2018

Behind the Scenes: How a Minor Character Became the Hero of Mission: Memory Recall


Fun fact: Marcus Allen was never meant to be a hero.
                                   
                                    
My inspiration for Marcus Allen, amnesic, presumed-dead army ranger


When I first came up with the idea for my Rangers Under Fire series, I had in mind six army rangers who were bonded together over their survival of a military ambush that killed most of their friends. If you’ve read any of my previous books then you know Marcus was not one of the original six.


He didn’t show up in the series until book four, Mistletoe Reunion Threat, when my hero Garrett was exploring his feelings about losing his friends in the ambush, including his best friend Marcus whose body was never recovered. Here’s the truth behind that scene. As a writer, I have to reach a certain word count in a story and I was woefully short in that one. The scene about Marcus was written on the fly while I was simply trying to come up with words! I had no idea when I wrote that scene that Marcus’s story would resonate with so many.


My first inclination that Marcus might be more than just a minor mention in Garrett’s story, was when I received my revisions back from my editor and she commented how she hoped we would see Marcus again.

My editor's note about wanting to see Marcus alive again
            

Now, by this time I’d already turned in my proposal for book six and she had to know Marcus wasn’t in it. But when I received my proposal back from her, I could tell she wasn’t thrilled with it. In truth, neither was I. This last ranger’s story just wasn’t connecting and I couldn’t seem to make it work. However, Marcus’s story was growing like wildflowers in my imagination. Within a few days, I knew his story and I wanted to write it!  

The amnesic, presumed-dead, army ranger. The broken-hearted CIA analyst who believes Marcus betrayed both her and his country. These two had to meet again!

     
CIA analyst Bethany who believes Marcus betrayed her and his country



I emailed my editor with my revamped idea for book six and she liked it. She gave me the go-ahead to change my hero.

Viola! Marcus Allen, Hero, was born.

Marcus eventually became everything I expected my final ranger to be. His character was the perfect hero with which to end this series and I couldn’t be more pleased with how his story turned out. I hope you are, too.

Virginia Vaughan




If you want to read more about Marcus and Bethany’s story, check out my latest release, Mission: Memory Recall, available now.


CIA analyst Bethany Bryant has risked her career to prove her former love, soldier Marcus Allen, actually survived a military ambush—and betrayed his country. But when she finally tracks the rugged army ranger to a remote Texas town, Marcus doesn’t remember who he is…or why someone’s trying to kill him. With an assailant determined to silence them both for good, Bethany and Marcus must go on the run in the hopes he’ll regain his memories. But will Bethany’s risky gambit to expose the truth clear his name and give them a future…or end their second chance at forever?

Amazon link: http://a.co/9U4qqLO










14 comments:

  1. I'm with Shana - love back from the dead stories and knowing you as I do, this book with be fantastic. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love back from the dead stories, Lori. Just wish I'd thought of it earlier. Oh well, it all worked out great!

      Delete
  2. Oh, you've convinced me to go back and read them in order. Love how you included the note from your editor. Perfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pamela! She really through me for a loop with that one. Glad she did.

      Delete
    2. Right, Pamela? I had the same reaction!

      Delete
  3. That's quite the story line, Virginia. Very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love secondary characters that get their own story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it as a reader but this is the first time it's happened to me as a writer!

      Delete
  5. I had to laugh at the name. I also had a Marcus I had no intention of writing as anything more than a secondary character, but he insisted he had a book in him. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Army Rangers. My son is one...although now retired from active duty.

    Your story sounds delightful...a must read! God bless our military heroes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, Virginia. And I've noticed that readers also start asking about secondary characters and when I'll be writing their story. Very interesting how those people really come to life. Well done! and as Debby Giusti said, God bless our military heroes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this story, Virginia. He was just meant to be, which makes the story even more fabulous. Can't wait to read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great post! I've read one story by Virginia, and can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive