Thursday, January 4, 2018

FOMO, anyone?

Happy New Year!  I hope 2018 brings you joy and blessings.

I’m so glad to see 2017 in my rearview mirror.  Ha! I think I say that every year.
This past year I had some forced down time. I broke my wrist; it didn’t heal properly and required surgery.  For the past seven months and counting I have had one good hand (my left), a lot of pain and time to reflect on my life.
One of the things that struck me was I found myself suffering from FOMO.

ˈfōmō/ 
noun
informal
1.    anxiety that an exciting or interesting event may currently be happening elsewhere, often aroused by posts seen on a social media website.
Origin
Early 21st century: abbreviation of fear of missing out.

As I was stuck at home with my hand propped up above my heart I felt isolated and out of the loop.  For the first month or so I found myself checking my email, my Facebook pages and blogs way more than normal. Almost obsessively. I decided I had to stop and go back to my regular routine of checking emails first thing in the morning to see if there is anything that needed my immediate attention, go to work which now included hours of hand therapy, then I could check social media.  
Most importantly, I had to get out of the mind set that I was missing out on anything.  I think it’s too easy to fall down that rabbit hole whether recovering from an injury or not.  

When I searched for information on FOMO, I found a plethora of articles and blogs on the subject.  Here’s a couple I found interesting that might help if you, too, find yourself afflicted with FOMO:




Coming up in 2018 a new continuity series from Love Inspired Suspense: Military K-9 Unit https://books.harlequin.com/search?w=military%20k-9%20unit
There will be a total of eleven stories in this series with books by Terri Reed, Val Hansen, Dana Mentink, Maggie K. Black, Lenora Worth, Lynette Eason, Laura Scott, and Shirlee McCoy.




On the hunt for a killer

An exciting prequel to the Military K-9 Unit series


Sheriff’s Deputy Serena Evans knows her trusty K-9 partner Ginger can track down the serial killer who is tormenting her Texas town…if only her boss would give her the chance. When they trace him to Jason Hargrove’s land, Serena and Ginger will have to team up with the reclusive rancher in order get their man.



Enter the world of the Military K-9 Unit

A riveting new series begins!

When the Red Rose Killer leaves his calling card for Staff Sergeant Felicity Monroe, she knows exactly what that means—she’s on his revenge list. Her boss, Master Sergeant Westley James, and K-9 German shepherd Dakota become her guardians, but they’ll have to act fast to escape the man who wants her dead.


15 comments:

  1. Fear of Missing Out. Yep, been there, done that. I think it's one of the downsides of being an introvert. I want to know what's going on, but I don't exactly want the pressure of getting involved!

    Congratulations on your new continuity series! Sounds exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, now I have a word. I feel that way often, and often I feel that way for my 12 year old, so I must have empathy fomo.
    Did you learn to type left handed really well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, yes I feel it for my kids too. I’m not sure they feel it. And yes, learning to do many things with my left hand. It’s become much stronger.

      Delete
  3. I have more of a fear of not getting everything done. Is there a word for that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m not sure but let’s make one up! FONGED.

      Delete
    2. I call that being a writer...so much to do, so little time. :)

      Delete
  4. Terri, I'm so sorry for what you've gone through. I've got a similar problem with "trigger thumb" and "trigger finger." After two shots, I'm finally having surgery on the thumb this month. Very painful and makes it so difficult to type, right? Hang in there. I know it'll get better for both of us soon. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, it is painful to type. I hope your surgery is successful. I have arthritis in my left thumb that has been aggravated by so much use. Part of living. It will get better with time and exercise for both of us. God bless you too.

      Delete
  5. I don't have FOMO...but I'm with Merrillee. I've got a fear of not getting everything done. I just call it being a control freak. LOL! Terri, hope all is well with the wrist. Leigh, good luck with your surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo Ann, I was more of a control freak before the break. I’ve had let go of some of that. Being vulnerable and dependent on others for pretty much everything has been a tough pill to swallow.
      But this too shall pass.

      Delete
  6. I've certainly felt FOMO from time to time, but generally more in real life things rather than prompted by social media. It's that introvert thing - the other grass looks really green (and happy), but I'd probably be miserable really.

    I get the vulnerable thing. I am generally a healthy person, rarely sick, etc., but I had a seasonal allergy cough turn into pneumonia in 2016. I went from feeling pretty okay one minute to rushing to the ER with a raging fever and horrid pain. The suddenness of it, and the absolute weakness I felt for a couple of weeks, really threw me. So now, every sign of a tickle in my throat gets my nerves hopping.

    I'm really sorry for the year you endured. Here's praying that 2018 is a huge improvement. The series sounds fabulous. I can't wait to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cate. Pneumonia is horrible. My nerves would be hopping too.

      Delete
  7. Terri, you've been through so much. I don't know how you've managed to keep writing. Sheer determination, no doubt.

    Prayers for continued healing! I've developed pain in my hands and weak thumbs that have trouble grasping and opening things. Nothing like you've experienced, but aggravating none the less. Health is so important.

    Sending gentle hugs to all the writers suffering with aches and pains! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, writing is hard on our hands for sure. I found some gloves that help with arthritis and achy hands. Imak smart gloves.

      Delete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive