How exciting to have Gideon Troyer with us, the hero from The Christmas Quilt, by Patricia Davids, a December 2011 release from Love Inspired Romance.
- Gideon, tell me the most interesting thing about you.
I’m a pilot. Most people find that interesting, but I’m also ex-Amish. I left my Amish community and my family when I was 21. I left behind the girl I loved, too. When she turned down my proposal, I knew I couldn’t stay.
- What do you do for fun?
Are you kidding? I fly. I do it for fun, I do it for work, I’d do it in my sleep if I could.
- What do you put off doing because you dread it?
Now you’re getting to the sore point in of my life. I’ve never been back to see my family. When I left after being baptized into the faith, I knew my family would shun me. I should go, my parents are getting older, but I dread it.
- What are you afraid of most in life?
Having the engine cut out at four thousand feet and finding out I don’t have a parachute.
Other than that, I’m afraid something important is missing in my life and I’m not sure what it is.
- What do you want out of life?
Two things. I want to help Rebecca Beachy earn enough money to have the surgery that might restore her sight and I want to know why she turned down my offer of marriage all those years ago. That question haunts me.
- What is the most important thing to you?
I guess I would have to say a strong work ethic and friends.
- Do you read books? If so, what is your favorite type of book?
I love books about flight pioneers. I’m not into fiction. I like to read about things that actually happened.
- If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
If I could change one thing? Just one? I guess it would be the amount of time I spend trying to make a success of my air charter service. I should take care of myself and maybe get back into going to church. I miss the strong sense of faith I once had. I’m not sure why I let that slip away. Sometimes, not going to church is easier than facing what you’ve done wrong.
- Do you have a pet? If so, what is it and why that pet?
No pets for me. I don’t have time for one.
- If you could travel back in time, where would you go and why?
I’d go back to the day Rebecca Beachy told me she didn’t love me anymore. I wouldn’t leave until I had my answer.