Monday, November 11, 2013

That Creative Gene by Leann Harris

Before I started writing full time, I had several hobbies.  I sewed (all my own clothes), knit, crochet,  and embroidered.  (Notice cooking wasn't one of my creative outlets.)   But after I sold my first book, all those creative outlets went away, since I channeled most of my creative energy into writing.

But I have noticed that most writers have another creative outlet that they enjoy in addition to writing.  I know Allie Pleiter is big into knitting and I've seen several of her creations and they are beautiful.  For me, my creative outlet turned to gardening.  How that came to be is still a question in my mind, but I love gardening.  Digging in the dirt, planting bulbs or seeds and watching them bloom is exciting.  What I fell in love with were Iris.  My mother-in-law had an Iris garden that included nearly half of her yard.

Spring wiil be so much fun and this year since I'll be able to be outside and dig in the dirt.

So what is the creative outlet that you love?

7 comments:

  1. Leann, your flowers are gorgeous!!

    My other creative outlet was making jewelry. And in the past, I did cross-stitch. I also took up knitting again while planning my last book (about a yarn shop) but haven't accomplished much with that. I have about half a scarf. :) Not anything near Allie's amazing creations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you -- most of the hobbies went out the window with writing. Hopefully, when the kids are older, I can get back into something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leann, I love your irises. I used to garden, and I used to sew. I don't find much time for it these days. I made all the window treatments for three different houses. When my girls were small I made a lot of their clothes, and I had a garden in which I grew everything from strawberries to popcorn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leann, your flowers are GORGEOUS. Unfortunately gardening is definitely NOT one of my talents. When I was younger I used to sew a lot - made some of my own clothes, did some cross stitching and even made a quilt. But these days the only stitchery I do is mending or hemming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Winnie, I still have my 1960 Singer sewing machine (a gift from my mother-in-law as a wedding present) that I now only use to mend things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a writer ans art teacher...Love watercolor and ceramics. Hard finding time to do it all. I love gardening too,but in the Texas Hill Country it all becomes midnight snack for the deer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leann, like you I had to drop my other creative outlets. BW (Before Writing), I played piano and made quilts. I especially enjoyed designing landscape quilts. The piano calls to me from time to time, and the quilting supplies still beckon, but there doesn't seem to be any time. BW, I also designed my many gardens. Love your iris! At least I had the good sense to plant perennials, since I barely find time to yank the weeds a couple times a year. Maybe it's time to bring back another creative outlet. It's fun to read about our many areas of creativity!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive