Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Pumpkin Pie Time!

Missy Tippens, here. Before we know it, it will be time for Thanksgiving! And I thought I'd share one of my holiday recipes with you.


Okay, I know by sharing my pumpkin pie recipe I'll be setting myself up for teasing by you who probably create your own recipes and may even grow your own pumpkins. :)  I'm admitting to you now, I use the recipe on the can of pumpkin and buy a refrigerated crust! :)

But why mess with something that never fails to please my family?

So, here we go...

Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Put your pie crust in the pie pan. I use the Pillsbury roll up crusts. They're the store-bought brand I've found that's closest to homemade.

Look! I made those ridges with my own fingers! So it's practically homemade!


Next, follow the directions on the can of Libby's pumpkin! This is from the Libby's site. :)

Ingredients


Directions

MIX sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.

POUR into pie shell.

BAKE in preheated 425° F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with whipped cream before serving. 
Notes from Missy...
Don't over-bake. The pie may not look quite done but it will set up once you take it out.
Also, don't go too heavy on the cloves! I actually use about 1-1/2 or 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice in place of the 3 spices.
Don't mess up and use sweetened condensed milk by accident (yeah, experience talking).
Now I'm craving pie! Not much longer...


This post originally appeared at the Yankee-Belle Cafe blog.

Visit Missy at www.missytippens.com

8 comments:

Christine Johnson said...

Missy, that's my recipe too! Everyone loves it, and it turns out great. I give you permission to have pumpkin pie before Thanksgiving. I won't tell. Promise.

Missy Tippens said...

Thanks, Christine!! It's actually my middle son's favorite pie, so I make it at odd times during the year. I usually make 2 pies--one for us and one for him! :)

Sandra Orchard said...

Well, our Thanksgiving was yesterday here in Canada. :D I've never been a pumpkin pie fan. But here's the pumpkin recipe we enjoyed (from the bonus features for my next book) http://sandraorchard.com/books/identity-withheld/grans-pumpkin-muffins/ We made it as a loaf and it was very yummy. Did you know you can substitute butternut squash for pumpkin (for the non-can users). We have a bumper crop of squash this year so I'm doing some baking. :D

CatMom said...

YUM!!! Thanks for sharing this recipe, Missy (except now I'm craving a piece of pumpkin pie to go with my cup of coffee setting by my computer *sigh*).

My oldest daughter bakes a delicious pumpkin pie, so she'll be doing our holiday pie this year! It's amazing to me that the holidays are almost here---didn't we just have Christmas of 2013 ?!?

Hugs, Patti Jo :)

Keli Gwyn said...

I'm probably one of the few people who doesn't care for pie, at least the dessert variety. I do, however, love pie crust. Yes, I'm odd, and I know it. =)

Missy Tippens said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Sandra! I'll check out that recipe!

Missy Tippens said...

I know, Patti Jo! It'll arrive quickly.

Keli, I bet you like quiche, then. :)

Keli Gwyn said...

Missy, I love quiche. I had some just this morning at a women's ministry meeting. Yum!