Thursday, August 10, 2017

When Story and Real Life Collide

Hi all! Dana R. Lynn here. I am so excited to be here today! I have a new book out, and was thrilled to see it on the shelf for the first time yesterday.

 See it? Plain Retribution, right there on the top row. I love that cover! The girl on the front looks so sad, I literally got a lump in my throat the first time I saw it. As you can see by the picture below, I signed the copies in the store. I was so afraid that someone would come over and yell at me. But no one did.


I loved writing this book. It was so much fun because I was able to use much of what I do in real life while writing it. Let me explain. My heroine, Rebecca, is a lovely young woman. Strong. Courageous. She's also completely deaf and communicates totally through American Sign Language, or ASL. She was very dear to my heart. I have worked with the deaf and hard of hearing since 1993, both as a teacher and as an educational interpreter. It was really important to me that I portrayed Rebecca honestly. In order to get in her head, I talked with several friends involved with the Deaf community here in Erie PA. Most of them said that when they think, they visualize images and signs. Most of the technology mentioned in the book are things that I have discussed either with my colleagues or my students.

My hero, Miles, is a mixture of my oldest son and my youngest brother. He's made some mistakes, but is doing his best to redeem himself. He is determined to not compromise on his faith or his duty. When I was writing the story, I really felt like I was borrowing some of the characteristics of my brother, who passed away at age nineteen. Maybe that's one of the reasons I loved Miles so much. He was adorable. At the same time, he's got a goofy side, like my son, who constantly makes me laugh. Miles just might be my favorite hero yet.

Ironically, I was hesitant when the idea for this book first entered my mind. In some ways, I felt it was too personal. In the end, though, I am glad that wrote it. It touched my heart and made me sigh. I hope it blesses my readers, as well.










20 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new book, Dana! I love the display in Walmart. Very visible! The fact that you've put so much of your own experiences into your characters makes them more real. I am fascinated just by your description.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christine! My husband sent me that picture. He was so excited to see it on the top shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dana, congratulations on your new release. I think books that come from deep inside us are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story background, Dana. Sometimes we have to go deep emotionally to get the story right. You cover conveys that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story, Dana! Thanks for sharing the foundation of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dana I thought adding parts yourself to your books make them more relatable to the reader. Love Plain Retribution. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. I agree. And in some ways, they are easier to write. Although, emotionally they can be more challenging.

      Delete
  7. Dana, that feeling of seeing your book on the shelf in a store never gets old. Here's to a lot more for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret! I am sure I giggled a time or two as I signed them.

      Delete
  8. You sold me. I've had many deaf students pass through my classroom. And, our church has a deaf ministry. One Sunday I looked up to see my favorite interpreter from my school up on the church steps interpreting for our deaf congregation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dana, sounds like a great story...and I sign copies of my books in the store too. Kindred spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Dana. How wonderful. I love the idea of you signing your books in the store. I confess I've never quite had the nerve, but you've inspired me. I love how you've personalized this book with touches from your real life. And I really love the fact that your proud hubby took the picture of the store shelf for you. God bless supportive husbands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? When my first book came out, I had a book signing. He was there, and just smiled as people called him Mr. Lynn, even though it's not his last name. The whole thing tickled him.

      Delete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive