Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Goodbye Borders--Hello Powell's

Terri Reed here. I'm sure you know that Borders is closing its doors. There had been rumblings for a while that this would happen. I had hoped it wouldn't. For the past year or so I refused to buy books anywhere but at Borders in hopes that my measly sales would keep my favorite bookstore open. Alas, it hasn't worked. This past week, my children and I visited the store at least four times, each time coming away with books. I'm sure we'll visit again in the days ahead until they close their doors for good. For me its not so much about getting the 'going out of business'l deals but about hanging on. My local Borders store is five minutes from our house. On rainy days (which we get a lot o
f here in Oregon) we'd head to the bookstore.
I don't believe bookstores in general will fall. At least I pray not
Here in Portland Oregon we have a book store called Powell's. It's four stories high and takes up a whole city block in downtown
Portland. Its a must see for visitors coming to the area as well a place that locals go to spend a few hours. There are new and used books, a rare book collection and a coffee shop attached. All genre of fiction and non-fiction can be found within the its walls. If they don't have the book your looking for stocked, they'll find it.
The various floors and rooms are color coded. They have a map to help navigate your way through the aisles, shelves and floors of the building. In the rainy days ahead, my family will be making the trek downtown more often now to visit Powell's.

My most recent release THE INNOCENT WITNESS is still on sale.

8 comments:

  1. Terri, I'm sorry you're losing your local hangout. It's so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have ordered out-of-print books from Powell's for years, and I have a fondness for them even though I've never set foot in the store. Powell's is actually one of my dream destinations, because everyone I know who's been there tells me it's amazing. I live on the East Coast, though, and so far I haven't been able to justify a cross-country trip to visit a bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terri,
    Can I come to Oregon and visit and go to Powells too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Powell's books and I would move in to the store if they would have me. I live far away in Southern California, but it has to be my favorite place in Portland!
    I still don't really understand where we will be buying gift books and coffee table books etc. when our Borders and B&N leave town leaving us without Powell's. I spend my whole life wanting to write a novel to be placed in the window at Borders or B&N and they close right when I've finished my first query letter. Weird how the Fates have changed the world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where I live we have a christian bookshop and there is a secondhand bookshop but the only other place is the newsagent. They have some books but not a huge range.
    I tend to buy more online from either Koorong in australia. (they have big bookshops in the cities) or Christianbook america. Our local bookshop doesn't have a very large range of fiction although we are getting more Aussie books which is nice. I do like looking at the bookshops in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Missy.
    Melanie, Oregon is a beautiful place with lots of wonderful sights that could justify a visit. Powell's would be a bonus.
    Pam, I'd love for you to visit. I've have a guest room.
    The Desert Rocks, don't despair. Seeing your book on any shelf is very satisfying. Good for you for finishing your query letter. I've been finding gift books at some boutiques lately. Interesting. Buy a new blouse and a book.
    Ausjenny, all the Christian bookstore here have closed. They went first. Good to hear there a some still in your part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terri here if you want christian fiction a Christian bookshop is about the only place you will find it. A small amount maybe in regular bookshops but not many. We have 2 main Christian stores Koorong and Word they have superstores in all captial cities (not sure about darwin right now.) but also a few other stores too and online web stores. They are the big players here. But alot of the smaller towns and centres have a bookshop. The irony is we have 5,000 people here and the city an hour away has around 30,000 and they cant seem to support one they have had several and all have closed but we are around 25+ years old now. Admittedly it is run by volunteers as if it was paid staff it wouldn't survive either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ausjenny, that's so neat to think the people are that dedicated they'd volunteer at the book store. I'd love to come down to your part of the world. Maybe one day I will. Thanks so much for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive