Friday, September 30, 2011

Ask Elnora--About being a Superhero??? Lenora Worth

Elnora loves the television show "Castle." But then, most writers do. This week's episode was all about comic book heroes and people who try to emulate them. Of course, we all know that when it involves Richard Castle, it also involves murder. This one was really gruesome. Elnora is far too delicate for such graphics. And Elnora is far too smart to actually believe a human being could split a man in half with a sword in one fell swoop. But ... this is Castle after all. We have to just go with it and enjoy the ride. After I downloaded the Marvel Comics app on my phone so I could read the new Derek Storm comic book story (written by Richard Castle of course) and alas, couldn't find the new Derek Storm anywhere on the app, I got to wondering--Don't we all have a bit of Super Hero in us? I attended a workshop at ACFW where super heroes and heroines were used as part of the program and I've been pondering this since. Writers are told to be themselves, but I think readers sometimes see us as these rock star super beings who travel with an entourage and stop on a dime to get our pictures taken. Okay, so Elnora loves to pose for a picture with a friend and reader, but let's get back to that Super Hero image. I do believe we have duel personalities like Spider Man and Super Man and we're definitely multi-taskers like Wonder Woman. (And she does it with fabulous hair and kicking boots!) I also believe we have to keep a little bit of ourselves secret just to stay calm and sane. We have to find that upper room and center ourselves before we go out and hang by a thread during booksignings, or leap over tall buildings to make it to an interview. And we certainly have to put on our protective armor when meeting the public or reading reviews. Even Elnora, with pearls and pumps and a boa (hopefully knitted by Camy Tang or Allie Pleiter), likes to find a quiet place and kick off her shoes and just stare into space. We are labeled introverts when really we just want to write our books and have fun and later .... much later, have a private conversation with our Maker. We enter laughing and we leave doubting but we love our jobs and our readers. But hey, even Cat Woman had her doubts, right? So..... what super hero traits do we need to survive? Do we all have a bit of Super Heroine or Hero in us? Let's discuss.

20 comments:

  1. Hmmm, my sons love to be superheroes. They can do all sorts of things, like fly and shoot laser darts out of their fingers. lol
    Superhero in me? Not so sure. When I don't get my coffee, it's more like super villain. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superheroes? You better believe I'm imagined myself as one! I always wanted to be Batgirl's sidekick(and she didn't have a sidekick!) only because I knew Batman and Batgirl belonged together, and I thought Robin was a hottie! But what did I know? I was only seven at the time!

    My superhero taste have evolved over the years--I love most things Superman and though he's not technically a superhero, Robin Hood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning! You two are super. I think anyone who can follow a dream and have it come true has to have super powers. It's not so much the costume as it is the content. It's the power inside. Dreams are important but reaching goals--that takes super powers. And yes, Robin Hood was a super hero in his time. Good example!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My life is all about Star Wars. I think my son (btw, Spidar Man was last year) is winning me over. So, my super hero would have to be Luke Skywalker. Jedi are superheroes, wouldn't you say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Elnora:

    There are superheroes in real life; they just remain anonymous.

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jedi--definitely. Vince, maybe you're trying to tell us something? Are you really Invincible Man?!!! And dud I spell that right??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm raising two boys--I am well versed in Super Heroes!! We even went through a BibleMan phase around here!

    I'm thinking of the t-shirts in the drawers: Captain America (great movie btw!), Star Wars, Lego Star Wars, Spiderman, Superman.... and they are 9 and 12! :o)

    Sometimes I do feel like two different people. You know how the super hero has an "alter ego" he/she shows the world? Mine are the person the world sees and the "real me." I have an anxiety disorder (OCD) and have pretty much hidden that my whole life. However, in the past 8 months, the Lord has been showing me that I CAN tell the world (well, my church family to start) and he WILL use it for Him (like Paul and his "thorn in the flesh"). WHOA! So, I kind of feel like the super hero that is being "found out" Kind of when Tony Stark is at the press conference and says, "I am Iron Man"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patty and Pamela - great superheroes! I loved Batman and Robin as a kid. Must have been the cool bat cave and supercool batmobile. My family is all into cars, so it's a natural. A bit later, I fell in love with Star Wars, though I was more of a Han Solo fan. After all, he had the way cool Millenium Falcon to fly around in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tracy, it's so awesome that the Lord is showing you that you can reveal your Iron Man self. No doubt He has an incredible reason to lead you in this direction. Perhaps your witness will help someone. I went through a bout of anxiety many years ago, and it's debilitating. Bless you for sharing. You are a super heroine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm wishing I could be a whirlwind superhero about now that could clean my house and get the laundry done in under an hour!!!*grin*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tracy, I admire your super powers to reveal your "other" self to us. We all understand such things. Elnora is a bit of a slob. I don't always have the cleanest house on the block. Martha Stewart gives me the hives. But I don't like filth, so I do keep bathrooms and kitchens fairly clean. Of course, I leave shoes and books everywhere. I need a Super Heroine Housekeeper. Me, I just swept each room with a glance. :))I believe it's okay to admit you have a "secret self". That's how humans learn compassion and tolerance. So we are applauding that you trust us enough, Tracy, to share this. This is why Elnora asks questions and why we encourage our readers to ask us questions. We're all climbing the same mountain, super human or not!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL, I'm pretty sure the superhero of my childhood was Pop-eye. He was the cartoon I had to watch. I thought he looked like my dad (although now I realize my dad did not have arms like that). I loved Pop-eye so much I wanted to name my first puppy Sissy because Pop-eye always said "Don't be a sissy." Olive Oil was not a beautiful woman, btw, and still found love. Now, that's romance.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why, I'd be delighted. Look here for EXACTLY the knitted object I believe you have in mind:
    http://destiknitions.blogspot.com/2011/08/new-york-city-round-2-upper-west-side.html
    Hits the spot, don't you think?--Allie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tracy, you are a Super Woman! Thanks for sharing who you are. I know your struggles will help others.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tracy, you are a Super Woman! Thanks for sharing who you are. I know your struggles will help others.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Blogger thought my last comment needed to be repeated! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Allie. I'll check that out. Allie is the best knitter!! She is a Super Knitter!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tracy, you ARE a super hero--just talking about what you're going through is one of the bravest things I've heard in a long time.

    And I know--my youngest daughter deals with anxiety disorders. I'm praying for you!

    Oh, Elnora, I forgot to mention CASTLE(which is SO not me!) I love that show--so much so, that my DH gave the third season to me for my birthday Wednesday. On a writing note, I think what the writers did with the Castle/Beckett conflict in the season opener was brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for your kind comments ladies! I'm learning more and more that God has a plan for this OCD of mine and stepping out in safe places is where I am starting.

    And Lenora--I'm with you on needing a Super Heroine Housekeeper. I'm just like you--I don't like filth so I keep things fairly clean, but clutter? that's a whole different story! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree, Patty. Some loved the season opener of Castle and some hated it. I'm not hard to please. I enjoyed it and I'm anxious to see how they play up the tension this season. Castle is adorable and he does showcase some of our strange writer quirks!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive