Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Heroes Who Wear Uniforms

This is Margaret Daley. What kind of heroes do you like? I wrote a post the other day about the popularity of cowboys, police officers, firefighters and military men. I love a man in a uniform. I think of a uniform like the armor of knights during medieval times. These men are protectors--often alpha males. Men of action.

In my most recent romantic suspense book the hero is a Texas Ranger (not a baseball player but a member of the state police for Texas). His "uniform" usually is nice slacks, white (or solid light color) shirt, tie (conservative one), boots, cowboy hat and a silver star badge worn on his shirt over his heart. This can vary slightly depending on the captain a Texas Ranger works under.

I have the first in a three book series called The Men of the Texas Rangers (from Abingdon Press). The first book is Saving Hope, out this month. The next Shattered Silence will be out in October. Read an excerpt at http://www.margaretdaley.com/2012/02/saving-hope-excerpt/.

Blurb for Saving Hope:

When a teenager goes missing from the Beacon of Hope School, Texas Ranger Wyatt Sheridan and school director Kate Winslow are forced into a dangerous struggle against a human trafficking organization. But the battle brings dire consequences as Wyatt's daughter is terrorized and Kate is kidnapped.

Now it's personal, and Wyatt finds both his faith and investigative skills challenged as he fights to discover the mastermind behind the ring before evil destroys everyone he loves.

So what is your favorite type of hero in a uniform?

5 comments:

  1. I do like a man in uniform, too. I think I see men in uniform as protective, capable, skilled, stable, disciplined, authoritative...they give security and assurance, many times in the midst of unsettled circumstances.

    I am looking forward to reading this new series. I do have a question for you, Margaret...why did Wyatt Sheridan lose his moustache on the cover of Saving Hope? (And I love a man with a moustache as much as a man in uniform.*grin*)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I have to say thanks to Janette Oke I fell in love with a Mountie.

    I fell in love with Canada because of the book and the mountie. I wanted to meet one (instead had to do with dummy's), but I didn't meet one but did meet a really cool pilot. on the trip back to the hotel from the airport after picking 2 other friends up who ignored me, I got to chat with this cool pilot and decided Canadian Pilots are as good as Mounties!

    there is something about the red coat they wore.
    I think I love the look of the uniform of the Light brigade with the Emu Feather plume.

    I am wondering if a man in uniform has as much to do with grooming as in there hair has to be a certain length, neat and tidy, they are clean shaven or have a beard and mustache that are well cared for. There uniform has to be clean and tidy right down to there boots.

    For anyone who hasn't read Saving Hope yet I would recommend you do its a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny, he never had one in the story. When I saw the cover, I said something to my editor about that. The art department fixed the cover to reflect what was in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your answer, Margaret...but maybe he could have grown one. *wink*

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive