Monday, December 24, 2018

Christmas Traditions: From my house to yours by Belle Calhoune


BELLE:

Twas the night before Christmas when all through the house, not a creature was stirring not even a mouse.  The stockings were hung by the chimney with care, in the hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there." I've always loved that poem, and as a kid just hearing it gave me chills of excitement.  Honestly, it still gives me a thrill!

It's Christmas Eve and all is relatively calm. Here in Connecticut, the malls are filled with last-minute shoppers and the roads are congested with people who are traveling to see their loved ones or to find that special something to place under the tree.  Thankfully, I'm all done with my shopping and can focus on the fixings for Christmas dinner and the more joyful aspects of the holiday. 

Tonight we'll go to Midnight Mass and listen to some music as we finish wrapping presents.  We might even watch a Christmas movie..we love Polar Express and Elf.  One of my favorite family traditions is giving out Christmas Eve Pajamas to my girls.  My husband and I love doing it. We buy them Christmas pajamas and give them to the girls on Christmas Eve so they can wake up the next morning wearing them.  We also allow them to open one present on Christmas Eve which they get so excited about.  It doesn't matter that my oldest is 23 lol.  She eagerly hinted about the pajamas she wanted for Christmas Eve.  I can't wait to see their faces tonight!

Making my Crock Pot Mac n Cheese is also a holiday tradition.  It is so delicious!  And at this point, I've memorized how to make it, but it's so easy.  And a big hit with the family.  Another tradition is my chocolate Buche de Noel cake which is sometimes referred to as a yule log cake.  It is very delicious if I do say so myself and a slice of chocolate heaven.



I'm looking forward to 2019 and all that it brings. Happiness,
Health and more books!!



     WISHING YOU A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!


12 comments:

  1. Belle, I love the tradition of PJs each year. What fun and that cake looks delicious. I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mary. Merry Christmas. I think that I get just as much enjoyment out of the tradition as the girls. It's so much fun!!! Blessings.

      Delete
  2. Belle, your Christmas traditions are lovely. We're attending Mass at 6:30 PM, then home for dinner and the reading of the Nativity from Luke. We give the grandchildren Christmas jammies!

    Will you share your Mac and Cheese recipe? In the crock pot sounds easy peasy!

    Merry Christmas to you and yours and to all our dear Love Inspired reader and writer friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Debby! Merry Christmas. Your Christmas Eve plans sound lovely. My crockpot recipe is a "borrow" from one I saw years ago from Paula Deen. Honestly, it is the only time I've ever been able to make a decent mac and cheese.

    Recipe:

    Mouth-watering Mac n' cheese

    One box of elbow macaroni (cooked and drained)

    1/2 cup of sour cream
    1 cup of milk
    1 can of Campbell's condensed cheese soup
    1 ½ cups of (orange) cheddar cheese, 1 1/2 cups of white sharp cheddar cheese, grated
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon of ground mustard
    1 teaspoon of adobo or seasoned salt
    ½ tsp pepper
    3 tablespoons of butter

    Boil pasta for six minutes, then drain. The crock pot should be set to high. Add pasta to crock pot along with grated cheeses, cheddar soup, sour cream, butter, milk and eggs. Mix all together then add all the seasonings. If desired, add additional cheese or sour cream. You can periodically check back to make sure it is not browning too much at the sides. You can stir every now and again.
    2 hours to 2.5 hours on high is pretty near perfection although slow cooker times vary. You can always check on it and look at the sides. If they are browning too much you can always turn the temp down to low. The cheese is very flexible also. You can use different types of cheese or add more or less depending on your taste. I once caught my youngest adding more cheddar cheese to the crock pot when she thought I wasn’t looking. I let it slide since she’s pretty adorable.

    I have to admit that I left out the butter this last time. And guess what? I was the only one who knew. You couldn't taste it at all. And I still am on the fence about the little brown crunchies on the sides of the macaroni....some people love them while others don't. The longer you cook it, the more brown crunchies you’ll get.

    I honestly think this is the macaroni and cheese recipe I will stick to like glue. It is perfection. And it can be tweaked. Bacon bits can be added to the mac n cheese. Add some lobster for a nice seafood lobster mac n’ cheese. Bread crumbs can be sprinkled over the top at the end. Or if you want to add some veggies, broccoli can be placed on top as well. A friend of mine added sliced hotdogs for her five year old son.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a wonderful family time! No Christmas jammies at my place, but still lots if live, joy, and excitement, no matter the age. My yule lilog Did. Not. turn out as delicious looking as yours! Could you share the cake recipe? My cake didn't rise well. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Patty. Your house sounds like a wonderful place to spend the holidays. I'll post the yuge log recipe down below. Blessings.

      Delete
  5. Your recipe sounds delicious, Belle! Our son-in-law is a mac 'n' cheese maestro and usually makes it for holiday family gatherings. Sad to admit, when I make mac 'n' cheese, it's from a Kraft box!

    Have a wonderful Christmas, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Myra. Ha! I used to make mine out of Kraft boxes until I tried this crock pot recipe. IT really is simple and delicious. My family loves it. WIshing you a very Merry Christmas.

      Delete
  6. Belle, Thank you for sharing your Mac N Cheese recipe! I can't wait to try it out. The cake looks to die for too! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharee! This is my favorite recipe and it turns out great. And you can always mix it up. Merry Christmas.

      Delete
  7. Merry Christmas, Belle. That Mac and Cheese sounds divine. Love to all of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas, Lenora. Sending you Christmas Blessings!

      Delete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive