Friday, December 14, 2018

Christmas in Texas by Vannetta Chapman

I love living in Texas. My mom was born here as were three of my siblings. As the saying goes "I got here as fast as I could" which in this case was at the age of 9. Today I thought I'd list some facts/myths regarding Christmas in Texas. I hope you enjoy them!

Myths:

  • We ride our horse to church on Christmas Eve. I don't even own a horse! Now some people in Texas might do this, but most of us take our pick-up truck to church.
  • We put out pecan pie and coffee for Santa. Nope. We put out cookies and milk like everyone else. 
  • We go swimming on Christmas day. Texas is big--really big--824 miles across from El Paso to Beaumont. So it's possible that someone will be swimming on Padre Island on Christmas day, but someone else will be shoveling snow in Amarillo. 
  • It's all desert in Texas, so we only have artificial Christmas trees. Not true! We do have desert out west, and hill country in the middle, and piney woods in the east - in fact there are even Christmas tree farms in places like Van and Tyler.
  • We pay for Christmas with our oil money. Nope. Most of us don't own oil rigs, though if anyone wanted to give me an oil rig for Christmas, I'd take it.

Facts:
  • Everything is bigger in a Texas Christmas. Sometimes this is true. Some family reunions are huge, and some of our trucks are giant, and some of our meals...well they are kinda big. And as you can see from this picture, we make really big rocking chairs that would be an awesome Christmas present.
  • We serve BBQ for Christmas. We might. Lots of people here also like to eat enchiladas and chili for Christmas dinner.
  • We were blue jeans and cowboy hats, even to our Christmas service. Yes, this is true for a lot of people, but realize that if we do we were nice blue jeans and fancy pearl-button shirts and our prized stetson hats.
  • There's nothing like Southern Hospitality. I've been all over the United States, and I've found people are kind where ever we go. I am partial to southern hospitality though. People in the south give, and then they give some more. It's humbling sometimes, and it's always beautiful--but especially at Christmas.
  • The stars at night are big and bright. Deep in the heart of Texas they are! And no time is the sky more beautiful than on Christmas evening as we pause to reflect on the birth of the Christ child.
What about you? Do you have any myths/facts about where you live? I'd love to hear them. 

I hope you've enjoyed this silly Christmas trivia. May the Christmas season find your heart full of joy, peace, and the love of our Savior. 

Merry Christmas, y'all.
Vannetta (and Bob)

15 comments:

  1. As a fellow Texan, I loved these. Thanks for the chuckle, Vannetta. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, Vannetta!!! I was born and raised a Texan but have lived the last 12 years elsewhere. Really hoping to get back to my roots one day soon. My husband and I always have to laugh at friends who tell us, "Yes, I drove through Texas once on my way east [or west], but it was so flat and barren that I didn't care for it much." Yup, must have driven across that little part of the Panhandle and missed the wide, beautiful variety that is Texas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Myra. It grieves me that so many people visit Dallas or Houston and think they've seen Texas. We're more than I-35. :)

      Delete
    2. One of my favorite Texas cities is San Antonio. There's so much more to see there than the Alamo. The missions tour is not to be missed!

      Delete
    3. I love San Antonio - it's especially beautiful during the wildflower season. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Vanetta! I love your post. Those myths are so funny. In one of my Love Inspired books I had the hero ride off into town to find the heroine and propose. It was sappy and romantic and I'm not sure my editor loved it since it wasn't practical, but it stayed in the book and readers loved it lol. I've been to Texas twice...Dallas both times and it was great. HOT but great. Being friends with Jolene has shown me that Texas is so different depending on where you're at. I'd love to see more of it. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you've been to Texas - but yes, there are much prettier parts than Dallas. lol. I can say that because I loved there for 40 years. :)

      Delete
  4. Loved your Christmas in Texas post with silly Texan trivia. Looking forward to reading all the new books that you release in 2019 MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU, BOB AND THE RESTOF YOUR FAMILY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patricia. Merry Christmas to you and your family as well.

      Delete
  5. Okay Vannetta, my husband is from Texas and he said they did leave pecan pie for Santa and the next morning, the pecan pie always had 2 or 3 bites out of it. Santa didn't eat the whole piece but he did take a few bites. Now, my husband loves pecan pie and always has to have it for Christmas. He's from Wellington, TX.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have family in Wimberley TX. Hope to visit Texas one day. :-) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wimberley is absolutely beautiful. I hope you are able to visit one day!

      Delete
  7. I want to use this means to let the world know that all hope is not lost Getting pregnant after having tubes clamped and burned, I know IVF and Reversal could help but it way too costly, i couldn't afford it either and i so desire to add another baby to my family been trying for 5 years, not until i came across Priest Babaka, who cast a pregnancy/Fertility spell for me and i got pregnant.l hope that women out there who are going through the same fears and worries l went through in GETTING PREGNANT , will find your contact as i drop it here on this site, and solution will come to them as they contact you. Thank you and God bless you to reach him email via: babaka.wolf@gmail.com or facebook at priestly.babaka


    I want to use this means to let the world know that all hope is not lost Getting pregnant after having tubes clamped and burned, I know IVF and Reversal could help but it way too costly, i couldn't afford it either and i so desire to add another baby to my family been trying for 5 years, not until i came across Priest Babaka, who cast a pregnancy/Fertility spell for me and i got pregnant.l hope that women out there who are going through the same fears and worries l went through in GETTING PREGNANT , will find your contact as i drop it here on this site, and solution will come to them as they contact you. Thank you and God bless you to reach him email via: babaka.wolf@gmail.com or facebook at priestly.babaka

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive