Monday, December 10, 2018

One-Minute Christmas Vacations

by Jill Kemerer

Every December my emotions go all Jekyll and Hyde. The lights on the Christmas tree? I smile every time I walk past them. The Christmas list that never seems to end? My blood pressure rises just thinking about it. I flip-flop between the joy of the season and the pressure it brings.

When I started blogging ten years ago, I posted one-minute vacations throughout the month of December. They were little reminders to chill out, take a deep breath, and enjoy the Christmas season. Today seems like the perfect time to do just that.

Sit back, grab a cup of coffee, cocoa, tea, or Mountain Dew, and let's enjoy a break together!



Have a little snack, too! I love treats to nibble on...


Are you cold? Need a cozy blanket to wrap up in?


Okay, good. We're all set now. Settle in and relax. Instead of thinking of all the things we need to do, we're pausing. We're JUST SAYING NO to the voice in our heads cracking the whip. It's okay to take a step back and not do anything for a minute. It really is.

We're going to go one step farther. It's time to daydream. I like to play a little game called If I Had a Day Off for Myself...

If I had an entire day off and could only spend it being completely selfish, what would I do?

My thoughts in no particular order:


  • Watch Christmas cooking shows in my pajamas and drink coffee and eat blueberry breakfast cake (recipe is HERE, and it's delicious!).
  • Read a Christmas classic. I fell in love with Miracle on 34th Street by Valentine Davies when I was in high school. (A few weeks ago, I read A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens for the first time!)
  • Catch up with my friends.
  • Read Luke chapter two and compare my whiny self to Mary when she's on her way to Bethlehem. Joseph is GLAD he didn't have to deal with me. "My back hurts. The baby kicked my rib. I'm STARVING! What is the point of this census??"
  • Take a long nap.
  • Buy a box of chocolates for myself and eat all the ones I like.
  • Listen to my favorite Christmas music.
  • Browse the aisles of our local drug store for new nail polish (I recently stopped chewing my nails by giving myself manicures once a week).
  • Catch up on all the Hallmark Christmas movies I've recorded.
  • Dream of a tropical vacation.
  • Order a pizza with my favorite toppings.
  • Buy a decadent coffee drink and walk around a light display with my hubby.



This entire list is so simple. As I read through it, I realize I can do all of these things throughout December. I don't need a day off!

Write your own list and find ways to slip the items into your days. Sometimes the most meaningful holidays happen when we take time to do simple things that feed our souls.



Okay, your turn!

If you had an entire day off and you could only spend it being completely selfish, what would you do?

Have a delightful week!

***

My Christmas novella, Sugarplums and Second Chances, is only $0.99 on Kindle! Give it a try!


Are some mistakes beyond redemption?

When former NFL star, Chase McGill, invites Courtney Trudesta, the widow of his former teammate, to spend Christmas with him and his son in Lake Endwell, he simply wants to repay her for the weekly letters she sent while he was in prison. He didn't expect to fall for her.


Chase regrets his past and knows it will take more than sugarplums and wishful thinking to heal Courtney's lonely heart. But with a dose of small-town charm and plenty of Christmas cheer, they might have a second chance at happiness...with each other.

***

Jill's Latest Love Inspired (October 2018):

A nanny at Christmastime…

Will she find love in this Wyoming Cowboys novel?

Six weeks on a ranch caring for quadruplets—aspiring nurse Ainsley Draper’s prepared for a busy Christmas. When the children’s handsome uncle opens the door, her task gets extra complicated. Marshall Graham is upholding his promise to look after his twin sister, the babies’ mom. But as family loyalty clashes with new love, will the perfect present include a future with Ainsley?



13 comments:

  1. LOL, I took Friday off. I watched a Hallmark movie, I read a bit, and I cleaned house. It was lovely!
    BTW, I'm glad you wrote a sports hero. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, Hallmark movies are my fave, Pamela! Sounds like you had an awesome day off!

      Delete
  2. My mini vacation would consist of seeing some snow, which here in Texas is rare. I'd also love to visit the Christmas lights that are less than an hour away from us at Lake Belton. They are so beautiful and you can drive through them. Plus, they have snow falling when you drive through. Accomplishing two wishes with one stop. Merry Christmas, Jill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to send you my snow when it comes--which it does often! Lake Belton sounds pretty. How fun is that??

      Delete
  3. Hi Jill! Love your post I think mini vacations are great although I'm due for a real one. I'm dreaming of white sand beaches and a Mimosa in my hand lol. For a mini vacation I try to go to the movies, read a non romance book for a change of pace (I like thrillers) and do some shopping or get a pedicure. I think as writers we spend so much time at our desks that we have to find ways to mix it up. Blessings to you. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I join you with a Mimosa on the beach? Tropical vacations are the best!!
      Ooh, thrillers! You're taking a walk on the wild side!!

      Delete
  4. I'm with Belle on the white sand beaches! We just had our first snow/ice of the season in the Carolinas and I AM SO DONE WITH WINTER!!!! We are actually planning a low-key Christmas this year since we won't have family nearby. So I'm enjoying Hallmark movies, time with my sweetie, and taking the holiday season one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myra, I AM SO DONE WITH WINTER, TOO!! Unfortunately, we get it until mid-April. Waaah!!! I hope you enjoy your low-key Christmas!

      Delete
  5. We have some amazing lights in a park about ten minutes from here. We've lived here four years and haven't made it yet. This year, I'm putting it on the calendar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, aren't Christmas lights the best? Put it on the calendar and enjoy!!

      Delete
  6. A day off? At this time of year? Really?

    Sounds inviting! I'd enjoy meeting a friend for lunch, followed by enjoying a movie matinee at a local cinema and getting home in time for a dinner my hubby prepared! Wouldn't that be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know! Sounds impossible, doesn't it?? That does sound fun! What movie would you see? There are always so many good ones this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your list. :-) Sounds wonderful! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive