Friday, December 28, 2018

Christmas May Be Over, But....

Hello! I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas earlier this week. Christmas is my favorite time of year. I love decorating, watching movies, singing carols and shopping for gifts for those closest to me. I also like to volunteer where and when I can. Usually my Christmas cards get mailed right after Thanksgiving. Then my tree and manger go up the 1st weekend of December so I can enjoy my decorations throughout the month. 

This year, though, has been different and… more challenging. After four days of feeling sick in the beginning of December, I visited the doctor and found out I had bronchitis. I got medications but I also rested as much as possible and slept as much as I could. But the bronchitis refused to go away and my decorating and shopping got pushed back “until later.” I figured I’d do it when I started feeling better. But I didn’t seem to be getting much better. Instead, I got more frustrated, upset and stressed. I still had so much to do with my day job, my manuscript and to prepare for Christmas. Unfortunately, all the pressure I was putting on myself caused another medical crisis, one that forced me to abandon almost all of my own plans and reevaluate my life. (Don't worry. I'm okay.) 

At first, I was depressed and in the “Why me?” mindset. It really hurt my heart I couldn’t celebrate Christmas as I normally did. But as the days went by I remembered the decorations and gifts aren’t the most important parts of the holiday. Despite my current medical issues (which aren’t terrible), I could still spend time with people I love and celebrate the true meaning of the season, the birth of Jesus. I was able to do that earlier this week and I had a wonderful time despite having boxes of my own decorations still on my living room floor.

I'm happy to say I'm still enjoying my holiday and I'm taking stock in all I've learned about myself, my health and my faith. Over this last weekend of 2018, I plan to reorganize my life as best I can. I want my priorities to be my health and finding ways to pass the meaning of Christmas forward from my heart as much as possible through my actions and my books in 2019. I'm so looking forward to the challenge. 

17 comments:

  1. How scary, Christa. I'm glad you were able to reevaluate and find a way to enjoy the holidays. We do try to put too much on ourselves at times - most times.

    Wishing you all the best in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cate! I'm still working on the reevaluating but I'm making progress.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Christa. This is a great reminder about our true priorities and how we can best react to the unexpected--which always comes to us, sooner or later. May God shower your 2019 with blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ramona. Since I wrote this post, I've had a few more "events", but I just keep telling myself to keep praying and take it one day at a time.

      Delete
  3. Christa, so sorry to hear about your illness and glad you are feeling better. And it sounds like you have a whole different perspective now about Christmas, yourself, and how to put things in priority. And I thank you for sharing that. I have been struggling with putting writing, family and duties in priorities and you really helped me to see them in a new light. Wishing you a wonderful New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marie. I'm so happy my words could help you, too.

      Delete
  4. I am sorry that you've been unwell. A lot of people I know seem to be going through medical issues this season. The holidays are wonderful but they come with pressure. A study just came out that said Christmas Eve is the most likely time to have a heart attack.
    I am certain, however, that 2019 is going to be a fabulous year for you! Hopefully for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Evelyn. I hope I'll soon be on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for reminding us about the true meaning of Christmas! I'm sorry you've been sick but I believe 2019 will get better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing, Christa! Sorry for your illness, but hope quick recovery is yours. Yes, so many were ill during the season; dh was and threw our plans awry.
    Hope you have a wonderful 2019 and get that next book written for us avid readers who love your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Jackie, thank you. Well, writing usually makes me happy so I hope to be doing more of that.

      Delete
  8. Christa, I’m glad you’re on the mend. I didn’t decorate as much this year, either. Couldn’t find the energy but we had a nice, quiet Christmas without a lot of fuss. I noticed I wasn’t as stressed as I usually get this time of year. The Baby Jesus knows we are not perfect. He wants this to be a time of rest and reflection, not stress and depression. All of the tasks are just the trappings of life. We need to unwrap ourselves and enjoy the gift of love and peace that his birth brings. Take care of yourself. I’ve always had one rule in writing. Take time for the holidays and yourself and your family. I’m glad you were able to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lenora, I like that phrase "trappings of life." What you say is true.

      Delete
  9. Praying for you, christa! Stress can be such a factor in our health! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Belle. I'm taking it one day at a time. That's all I can do.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive