Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Finding the Perfect Christmas by Tracey J Lyons


I don’t know about you, but I’ve been watching a lot of Christmas movies. It seems like they’ve been running since before Thanksgiving. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Christmas movies. The thing is they all have that happy Christmas ending. The cookies get baked, the tree gets decorated, the town gets saved, the couple has their happy ending…we all know that real life isn’t like this. And yet, if you’re like me at this time of the year you want your life to be exactly like that Christmas movie.



For the most part my “Christmas” life is pretty darned good. I have not one but five Christmas trees, decorated by theme, in my house. I have my lights strung up around my front porch and wreaths hanging from all the windows on the front of the house, spotlighted just so.  I’ve been keeping on schedule with most of my holiday things, like shopping and baking. That is, up until last week when I got hit with a bad cough and not one, but two days of migraine headaches. While I was standing at my kitchen counter whipping up a batch of cookies, and multi-tasking making appetizers for a cocktail party I was hosting that same evening, and making my dish to share for the family party, it occurred to me that as much as I wanted it to be, my life is not a Christmas movie.


I had to take a step back and give myself permission to not bake the second batch of cookies for the family party the very next day. I only put out one freshly made appetizer and not the two I’d been planning on baking for the cocktail party.  And I had to dump out half of the 7-layer chopped salad (my dish to share-yes I overfilled the bowl) to make room for the fifth, sixth and seventh layers! This is the time of year when we put a lot of pressure on ourselves to make everything perfect. When really perfection isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. By nature, we humans are flawed. And it takes a lot of work to be “Perfect.”

You know what? I realize I don’t want to be perfect, especially not at this time of the year. I want my kids to be happy, and they are. I want everyone near me to be healthy and I’m so very blessed that they are. I’m looking forward to having my kids and their kids here to celebrate our family Christmas together. And they don’t care if I don’t get all the sheets on the beds or if the silverware doesn’t match or even if the dinner I wanted to make suddenly gets changed because I forgot an ingredient at the grocery store.

Because finding the perfect Christmas isn’t about what we put on our tables or how we decorate our trees, it’s about what is in our hearts. Kindness. Caring. Love. Compassion.  Remembering why we celebrate the day to begin with.


I’m wishing you all the best, non-perfect, Christmas ever!!

Christmas Blessings,

Tracey

PS I'd love to hear some of  things that make your Christmas "not" perfect. Feel free to drop a note in the comments section. 



6 comments:

  1. The things that make Christmas less than perfect for me is we are all so busy and in a rush to get everything done that sometimes the season flies by without really being able to enjoy it the way I wish that I could. That's one of the reason why I love attending the Christmas Eve service so much. It is a reminder of why we celebrate this time of the year. Merry Christmas, Tracey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and it's hard to give ourselves permission to just let it go and enjoy the moments.

      Delete
  2. Our lives are filled with a lot of "things to do", especially between Thanksgiving and New Year Eve. I'm trying to simplify my life and not be so rushed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want it all to be perfect, Margaret. It's hard for me to simplify but I'm trying! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tracey. Your Christmas sounds pretty perfect to me. I truly think as long as we're with the ones we love and who love us in return we achieve bliss. And your Christmas tree is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Belle. Thanks for the tree compliment. I've had it up since Thanksgiving! This year I decorated very early. I read somewhere that people who decorate early are happier! I thought I'd give it at try! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive