Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A Fool for Love Inspired Suspense Any Day of the Year

Hi Everyone! Sandra Orchard here. Happy April Fool's Day!

I'm super-excited that my long-awaited (at least by me :) ) cruise ship story, Perilous Waters, will finally hit store shelves later this week.

I loooooved everything about writing this book, from revisiting--in my imagination--the breathtaking sights and sounds, tastes and scents of an Alaskan cruise to researching the fascinating world of Art Crime investigations to creating a cast of characters I would enjoy writing about for two more books.



I've also had great fun creating tons of bonus features for YOU, including a blog each Monday of this past month on its evolution, in which I shared such things as the art crime news story that sparked the idea for the novel, location pics and more.

You can check them out on my Bonus Features Page by clicking here. And...my to-swoon-for-hero will be interviewed right here on Sunday!

Perilous Waters was my first novel not set in the Niagara Region, where I've lived all my life. Yet, ironically, it was also my first novel set in REAL places instead of fictional towns created to suit my story.



So...as I wrote, my mind walked the halls of the Island Princess cruise ship on which I'd traveled, and the streets of Skagway and Ketchikan and Juneau.

I rode the same bus my heroine and her twin sister rode and when I looked across at the train in the pic below, I knew the bad guy had to be on it. (not saying it ended up that way in the story, mind you ;) )



If you read the book and then visit my 'On Location on an Alaskan Cruise' page, you'll recognize several scenes from the story.

Perhaps it was the novelty of an utterly new experience and setting that made writing this book such a labor of love. The energy has definitely carried over into the connected books as I dig deeper into the lives of characters I've grown to love.

It makes me want to explore another unique setting for my next book. It's a good excuse for a summer vacation. Right? :)

Any suggestions?! 

Sandra Orchard is a multi-award-winning Canadian author of inspirational romantic suspense/mysteries with Love Inspired Suspense and Revell. An active member in American Christian Fiction Writers, The Word Guild, and Romance Writers of America, she enjoys helping writers hone their skills. To find out more about her novels, and to read interesting bonus features, please visit www.sandraorchard.com or connect at www.Facebook.com/SandraOrchard 

11 comments:

  1. Oh I love Alaska sure I havent been but I love it. YOur new books sounds wonderful. Alaska would be an interesting place for suspense! To ride where the heroine rides is good.

    I know I have a better sense of some places now that I have been to the states and seen some of the area.

    Yes research is a good excuse for a holiday in an exotic place or even Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love history, so maybe someplace like Jamestown. I can see a suspense novel set there. Or, one of the placed in Canada where relics of early Norse exploration have been found.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Jenny, AU is definitely tempting!

    Jean, interesting you should mention the Norse, that would be NewFoundland and I was just suggesting that destination to my hubby yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Sandra, I definitely think you should come to Georgia and research for a book!!! Southern for sure!
    Can't wait to read your newest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandra, this story sounds so exciting! Love all the details you shared. Can't wait to read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jackie, Georgia is sooo tempting. So many sweet friends there, but hubby can only get away in the summer and I don't know how y'all can stand the heat then!!!

    Thank you, Debby! I received such a fun review today. The reader said she's now planning an Alaskan cruise for her next anniversary, thanks to the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Sandra! I am SO looking forward to reading this book!

    And I echo what Jackie Smith said about coming to Georgia - - yes, we have awful heat and humidity, but we'd make sure you were in air-conditioned comfort as you researched! We'd LOVE to have you visit here!

    Congratulations on your newest book, and looking forward to reading many more.
    Hugs, Patti Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh, I've always wanted to take an Alaska cruise, without the suspense though. Your new book sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun! I've never been on a cruise. I would love that kind of research! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alaska is on my list of places to visit. And going by cruise would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Patti Jo, we'd have fun, wouldn't we?

    Christine, the suspense makes it sooo adventurous! :)

    Missy & Pamela, this was my first cruise and yes, I highly recommend the Alaska venue. Be sure to include the "Inside Passage" to see all the glaciers. It's amazing how far they've receded in the past 30 years!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive