Monday, March 31, 2014

RWA and Conference by Leann Harris

This year I'm going to the RWA conference in San Antonio. I haven't been in a number of years and am looking forward to seeing old friends and enjoying several days of immersing myself in workshops, fellowship, and learning.  I also belong to ACFW and try to alternate years going to ACFW and RWA.

I've been a member of RWA since a friend hauled me to my first RWA conference in Dallas.  I will tell you that I was overwhelmed with information, but determined to get published. I cried every night of the conference realizing I was so far from publication, but I had a road map. After that conference, a chapter was established in my town, and I went every month. They taught me how to write, showed me the business side of writing, and gave me contacts.  Only another writer will understand when you say, "My hero isn't cooperating."

RWA is an educational organization.  I've had other writers (male) comment how organized RWA conferences are. He learned so much.  He went to a science fiction conference and workshops were named, but they sat around and just talked on the topic.  Most RWA members are women (need I say more) and we are nurturers.  (I'll teach you.)  RWA members have migrated to Mystery and SF and it has effected how those conferences are now organized.

If your interested in learning to write, check out either RWA or  ACFW websites. They list local chapters where you can learn and make friends.  A word of warning: you will have to join the national organization as well as the local chapter.  The picture is at my first signing at RWA.  Ignore the huge glasses and my eyes half closed. I'll sign at conference my latest book, A Ranch to Call Home this year. 



13 comments:

  1. I'm a member of both RWA® and ACFW. Both organizations offers many benefits of memberships, including their conferences. What impresses me is how helpful my fellow members in both organizations are. Writers are some of the most generous people I've ever met.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness!! I love the big glasses! I'll be at RWA too. Look forward to seeing you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice! I remember feeling the same way at my first conference in 2008. That "Oh No." moment when you realize the enormity of the task...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be there, too! I'm looking forward to the conference.

    Love the photo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I've never been to RWA. How does it compare to ACFW, in your opinion?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a wonderful conference, Leann! I wish I could be there to see everyone. There's nothing like that first conference when you realize how much there is to learn. Kudos to you for sticking it out and doing the hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learned so much through my local RWA chapter and always love the National Conferences! Can't wait for this year's in San Antonio.

    Dana, RWA has fantastic workshops and lots of big names in the industry who share their knowledge. IMHO, RWA provides more educational opportunities for the multi-published.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the picture, Leann. And the glasses. =)

    I haven't been to RWA for a few years, either, and can't wait to see everyone in San Antonio.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dana, RWA is bigger and there's all sorts of workshops for other genres. There's no prayer and praise. First time I went to ACFW after being a member of RWA for a number of years, the prayer and praise took me by surprise. But, there's lots of specialty chapters meeting. Obviously their are different publishers (ABA), and agents who work with them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never been to RWA. I love ACFW. And the Writer's Police Academy...now that was fun! Any aspiring writers here from Canada, should check out Write!Canada. I'm excited to be teaching a few classes there this year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to RWA this year too. And, one of my dearest friends is in San Antonio (I've not seen her in 20 years!).

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive