Friday, May 26, 2017

Checking Out A Future Husband

What is the most interesting thing you've ever checked out at the public library? 

Rhonda Gibson here and I confess I checked out my husband at the library. He was a senior in high school and I was a sophomore. I spent every afternoon, at our local public library waiting for my mom to get off work. The library was across the street from our high school so it was an easy walk for me. But, not so much for my darling future husband. He'd had a knee operation earlier and because of the cast on his leg wasn't allowed to drive. Lucky me, he decided to start spending his afternoons at the library too while he waited for his mother to get off work. See? We already had something in common, waiting for mothers.

I noticed him the first day he walked in. But, I wasn't visible to him. I'd sit with my friend and admire him across the room. To me he was soooo cute! His light blue eyes were the prettiest I'd ever seen, but they didn't look in my direction. Sigh.

One day, my friend dared me to say hello to him. Even back then, I didn't have a shy bone in my body. He was holding a very large, 1980's, calculator in his hand. In my rush to "meet" him, I asked him if I could play with "his thing" meaning his calculator. It was a match made in embarrassment for both of us.

He overlooked my awkwardness with words and we started dating that summer after school. Two years later, we married on May 27th, 1983.


James Gibson was my hero back then and he's still my hero today.



What's the most interesting thing you've checked out at the library?

Until next time, Rhonda


http://bit.ly/PonyexpressMail-orderBride

17 comments:

  1. What a cute story! I can't think of a thing that I checked out at the library except books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute story. I've always loved libraries, so that's a wonderful way to meet. Especially for an author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable story to start the day with! You two are so cute and libraries are very romantic places. I'm glad you had the courage to go say hi. ;) I did a reading in my old highschool library last Fall, and it hadn't changed a bit. Some of the exact same mysteries I'd read were still on the spinner shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to donate some of your delightful books, Maggie!

      Delete
  4. Love your story, Rhonda. Libraries are wonderful places and I can't think of a better place to meet your future husband.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So funny! You should write a YA about your love story. I used to wait for my mom at the library too. They were safe places back then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this, Rhonda! So fun. I loved libraries so much that I became a librarian for many years, but I didn't find anything as exciting as you did there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just the title of this is adorable. I confess, however, that I'd have had my nose stuck so deeply into some book that I wouldn't have noticed a cute guy--or anything else. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute story. I must admit that checking out boys in the library when I was a teenager must have been the most fun, but I am also a bibliophile, so books, books, and more books are very fun for me. That last fun book I checked out from the university library where I work was titled: Latin American Popular Culture Since Independence. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A love story that starts in the library is the very best kind of romance!! And I love your ice breaker line---so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww - know wonder you write for Love Inspired. Cute story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This story belongs in a book, Rhonda! Thanks for sharing! Loved hearing how you met your hubby. I found lots of books in the library...but never a boyfriend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful story. If more girls knew they could find a good man in the library, the place would be over run. The most unusual thing I've checked out was 'A Liberation Album,Canadians in the Netherlands 1944-45' for a book I was writing. The librarian who helped me the book was sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rhonda called me tonight and wanted me to let you know she has tried to comment to your posts but it isn't allowing her to. She has really appreciated all your comments. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet story, Rhonda. So funny. A cute meet!!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive