Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Post Valentine's Trauma

            Post Valentine’s Trauma


                 by Linda Goodnight
          (With apologies to Robert Browning)
How do I love thee?

Let me count the ways.

This is how I love thee, oh glorious Valentine’s Day.

I love thy heart-shaped boxes wreathed in ruffles.

I love thy peanut clusters and dark chocolate truffles.

I love thy Godivas and Doves, Hersheys and Lindts.

I love thy brownies, cupcakes, and buttermints.

I love every sweet you bring to me

Almost as much as I love thee.

And so my hinder parts no longer are slim,

And my post-Valentine’s trauma is a daily trip to the gym.

OINK, OINK!

9 comments:

  1. I have never thought of Valentines as a passive aggressive holiday but I do now!

    Thanks for the giggle this morning.

    Peace, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love this poem, Linda. It's so true to life! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Linda:

    I think your poem is very clever. And it scans so well. Perfect for the occasion.

    However,

    I think everyone just assumes that Robert wrote that poem to his lover, Elizabeth. Men are the great troubadours. But Elizabeth wrote the poem.

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, all. I had a giggle writing the poem. Glad it gave you a smile.

    And Vince thank you for the correction. I never get my Brownings right. Now, my brownies, that's a different matter. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Linda:

    That was so funny that one might think I was your straight man. Wonderful!

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm feeling silly and giddy today because I finished a proposal and met my deadline!

    Vince, you can be my straight man any day. I just couldn't resist.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive