Sunday, June 26, 2011

An Unlikely Match Interview

How exciting to have Asher Chatam, the hero from AN UNLIKELY MATCH, by Arlene James, a June, 2011, release from Love Inspired Romance.

1. Asher, tell me the most interesting thing about you.

It has to be soccer related. I'm the youth soccer commissioner in Buffalo Creek, Texas, and I once thought I'd play professionally. I attended college on a soccer scholarship, but an injury forced me to focus my efforts elsewhere, which is how I wound up an attorney.

2. What do you do for fun?

Soccer. I play, plan, coach or watch soccer whenever I have downtime. Oh, and jogging. I love a good run. Guess you can tell I'm a bit of a fitness nut.

3. What do you put off doing because you dread it?

Laundry. I'm not the sort to put off things, really. In my experience that just exacerbates the problem, but I don't see the point in doing the laundry unless the closet or dresser is empty. Plus, I know I'm going to mess something up when I do it. Typical guy, I guess.

4. What are you afraid of most in life?

Failing to do my best, especially when it's a matter of time. I just don't always have the time to devote to things. That's a real problem with people and relationships. People deserve time, and I just don't always have it. I try to make time for family, but it's not easy, and I always feel a little guilty about that.

5. What do you want out of life?

I want to excel at what I do, whether it's law or coaching or whatever. I guess that's why I've avoided personal relationships. I don't have the time to be a good friend, etc.

6. What is the most important thing to you?

My reputation is important to me. As an attorney, my reputation is everything. It's even more important because I'm an espousing Christian. Too many people think of attorneys as shysters, and I absolutely want to avoid anything that seems the least bit shady or improper. That's another reason I don't date much.

7. Do you read books? If so, what is your favorite type of book?

I don't really read for entertainment. Just don't have the time. Also, I read so much for my work that reading isn't the first thing that comes to mind when I have some downtime. I guess my favorite type of book, though, would be the old classics. You know, Shakespeare to Twain, with a little Aristotle and Socrates thrown in.

8. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

I get that I'm a bit uptight, and I'd really like to change that, but I do serious work. I have to think how my actions and reactions may impact my work, which is ultimately for the good of others. If that makes me a little cautious, well, God will have to do something about that. I can't seem to.

9. Do you have a pet? If so, what is it and why that pet?

No pet. I don't have time for a pet. I barely have time for people, so it wouldn't be responsible of me to have a pet.

10. If you could travel back in time, where would you go and why?

I guess I'd go back to college and do some things different there. I'd not do some things and definitely do some things that I didn't the first time. Maybe I could save myself and others some heartache. For instance, I wouldn't try to be the hero of every game and injure myself. And I either wouldn't get married or I'd give her more time so she wouldn't divorce me. Maybe I'd have a more normal life then, something besides work and soccer. I see these guys who have been married for years at my age and are dads now, while I'm just their kids' soccer coach or just the league commissioner. Ah, well, the law is rewarding work, and I'm good at it. And I do still have the soccer. I just wish…but never mind that. God knows what's best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive