Friday, May 11, 2012

Ask Elnora--About Diamonds??? Lenora Worth

Hello, my sweet summer friends. It's always exciting when a new book is coming out. My next one will be out this August. It's a suspense--We love those, don't we? "The Diamond Secret" is set in New Orleans. What better place for a treasure hunt and lots of strange clues that all come together? My hero, Cullen Murphy, is Irish. Sigh. Irish and ambitious. My heroine Esther Carlisle runs an antique shop that she inherited from her stoic father. Cullen comes looking for an infamous diamond but discovers a diamond in the rough in prim little Esther. While she's always longed for a grand adventure, Esther is too sensible to fall for the good-looking adventurer. It's Indiana Jones meets Southern mystery. It was so much fun to write this book. After all, Elnora knows that diamonds are a girl's best friend! Unless someone is trying to kill you in order to get a diamond. That got me to thinking about grand adventures. Who amongst us has been on one? Who amongst us is afraid to go on an adventure? Recently, some friends took Big Daddy and I out on a boat ride. Elnora doesn't really like big bodies of water, except to look out on them while enjoying coffee and a good book and maybe some chocolate. It's safe to sit and read about adventures but ... to go on one? What if I break a nail or worse, a leg? What if bad guys do start chasing me? Anyway, I went on this boat with friends and we went out into the big bay. The really big bay. And we kept on going until we reached a little sliver of a sand bar that had a sign post at the end which told how far away certain places were. The sign also had the words "Skull Island" and "You are here" on it. So there I stood on Skull Island out in the middle of the really big bay and of course, my writer's mind was coming up with all sorts of scenarios. How did Skull Island come to be known as Skull Island? Were there really skulls on this island and did I really want to know that? While there, we saw a stingray and I thought about being out in the ocean on a raft with sharks and stingrays all around. Frightful. But it all ended okay since we got back in the boat and started home. The boat captain (we'll call him Bennie) also pulled the boat up to another kind of secretive place which could only be reached by boat or a long, long road that seemed to go nowhere. Of course, my mind went into imagination land again. Who lived on such a desolate, bug-infested place? Modern day pirates, drug runners, criminals and misfits, murders and mad men? I didn't want to find out. So when the boat got stuck in the shallows, I sent up a little prayer. I did not want to spend the night with whoever lived in the two houses we saw from the shore. Thankfully, we managed to get back out into deeper water and then we headed home. I had survived Skull Island and what was probably a band of pirates. The next week, our captain sold that boat so I won't be taking anymore trips like that for a while. But my mind is still out there, wondering while it's wandering. For Elnora, those few hours were grand and scary and interesting. What kind of adventures have you been on? Let's discuss this some more. I had fun talking about this over on the Love Inspired Authors Blog yesterday, so I thought we'd continue it today in celebration of my next book and in celebration of all the adventures, large and small, that we find in life. We are blessed to have adventures, right??? :))

8 comments:

  1. We are blessed to have adventures (though it's not common in my part of the world) To go, you have to save and save, there are lovely places here really. Writers need to often go on adventures, it will help with settings, plot and inspiration. Well, in my own opinion. Have a great day, Beautiful ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting book, i can't wait till August to have it! (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does flying overseas alone count as an adventure. the first time I went to Hawaii for 3 days on the way to Canada. I knew one person in Hawaii and only online. The first time flying overseas I read up all the customs info, asked people questions and was quite paranoid about it all. it went well. Hawaii went great. Oh and a friend said don't talk to any strangers I was well who am I meant to talk to. Then onto Canada to a retreat again where I only knew the ladies from online. It was really good. The scariest thing was getting to the airport after the trip. I got the bus from Whistler to the city then the bus dropped us off in the city where another should take us to the airport only it didn't come. it left us down town vancouver. There were 3 of us and one decided to get a Taxi and we all went and shared it.

    The next trip I didn't do much research on customs etc. it was so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does a ride in a hot air balloon count? I've also kissed the Blarney Stone. You have to be a contortionist to do that? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great stories. You each are amazing to me. I could travel to Nigeria then on to Australia then back to Florida . I'm sure with the great blogger friend we have here we might get into some serious adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cover, Lenora! Can't wait to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to read this book, Lenora! Sounds delightful! And I love diamonds. :)

    Adventure...traveled Europe when we lived there. Lived in Japan. I am cautious though. Perhaps it's the suspense writer in me, but I always worse case situations. (Or is it worst case? Where's a Grammar Queen when you need one?)

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I will just travel through books...lol! And yours sounds great, Lenora...........can't wait to read it!!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive