Friday, May 25, 2012

Ask Elnora--About Dolphins???Lenora Worth

Hello, my little mermaids. Elnora loves dolphins. There is just something about these gentle, friendly creatures that draws us to look toward the sea. They are playful and they love to tap each other and, sometimes, humans too! They frolick and play but they are a vital part of our oceans and bays. Elnora prefers her dolphins wild and free rather than in a big pool doing tricks. Those are cute, don't get me wrong. But I like the surprise of staring out over the horizon and suddenly seeing a dark flipper or fin popping up out of the water. Now that I've been back and forth to the big bay, one of my favorite things to do once I get there is watch for the dolphins. The first time I saw one so close to the shore, I giggled with delight. Then it became a quest to see another and another. In our bay, they mostly travel two to three in a pod and do a beautiful dance across the water. This time there, I waited and watched and fretted. I was having a hard time accepting that I'd soon be moving across the country so I really needed to see those dolphins. It just seemed to me that if I saw the dolphins early in the morning, I'd have a better day. Something about them lowered my blood pressure and stopped my worries. But day after day, I didn't see any little gray fins or flippers. I sat on the deck and watched and waited and thought about how many miles inland it would take them to travel to get to me. They only like to come and visit when the water is warm. (And who can blame them for that.) Finally, I spotted one in front of the boat docks but I lost sight of it in the tree line. The next time they came Elnora was upstairs "powdering my nose" when Big Daddy called up and said there were several--or more like "more than I've ever seen. Hurry." Sometimes it's just hard for a girl to hurry. But I did. I managed to spot a couple before they went on there way to whatever play dates they had that day. We had one more spotting when some friends saw them and we all rushed down to the water's edge. Soon, however, it was time for us to return home and start packing to go back in a few weeks. I was still torn between loving the bay and leaving my home and friends and some family members when I go back to the bay for good. We had shut everything down that morning and closed the drapery over the glass door to our deck. While Big Daddy his usual pack and check list, I snuck to the curtains and opened them one more time. I just stood there, thinking of all the things I had on my mind and how I was going to deal with those things. And then, out of the blue three little fins popped up and flipped through the water, followed by three swishing flippers. Those dolphins put on a show for me and only me. I smiled and smiled and watched until my eyes grew bleary from the sun and from the beauty of it all. There is something about dolphins. They offer unconditional friendship and seem to know exactly when we need it. So ... let's discuss dolphins and other sea creatures? What is it that you love about the sea? Sometimes the world is full of sharks, but I know the bay will always bring me some dolphins. And that means God has sent me a little bit of grace.

16 comments:

  1. Thank God for the blessings bestowed on us by God through Nature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that. I have always enjoyed nature. The world out there is never dull!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lenora, what a sweet story! I, too, love dolphins! We love to watch them when we're at Orange Beach, AL.

    I've also been on a dolphin boat around Jekyll Island. Amazing trip!! There were bunches and bunches swimming around our boat, "chattering" at us. We even saw a mother with a baby swimming right beside her. It was amazing and precious. I have some great videos I took on my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I have to try that. Went on a dolphin cruise long ago. Loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing dolphins in movies, tv.....have enjoyed some in FL in the past.
    Here in NE Ga. in the "country" we are enjoying the birds more than ever...due to our longer, nice spring weather. First time we have had such a close look at the baby bluebirds (they are perching on our hummer stands),and it's been amazing to watch the "parents" feed them, train them to fly and get their own food! As Olufisayo said, God did it through nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Georgia in the spring and summer Jackie!! Sounds lovely!

      Delete
  6. In Monkey Mia (Western Australia) they have wild dolphins come into the area for a feed each morning and you can be near them in the water. They are the Bottle nose dolphins. It was really cool seeing but with so many tourist there are some nationalities that can be really rude and push there way in front or will push you out the way to see. Its more the Japanese but also some of the European ones did also. I know they were excited but there was room for everyone, some will take a photo move back but some would just move you out the way so you cant see at all. But it was cool to see them come in. the downside was the wait and the fact you cant wear sunscreen if you are going in the water cos it affects them.
    Oh you know what else is really cute. In Phillip Island Victoria they have a fairy penguin colony and they have an area set where you can go and watch the penguins come home after dark. Its so cool watching them come home and near us were some baby penguins waiting for there parents to come home. they were so sweet but you cant use flashes on the camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the rude people AusJenny. But the penguins sound really nice and polite!!

      Delete
  7. I love seeing dolphins in the wild too, Lenora!!!

    So your new home will be on the ocean? How wonderful.

    Did I hear someone say writers' retreat? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are on a bay. A bit inland but a few miles from the Gulf. I hope to join the Silken Sands group once I get settled. Great group. I've spoken at their conference twice. And yes, come on down!!

      Delete
  8. Whenever I walk on the beach near our home, I look for dolphins. If the ocean is calm, it is easy to spot them, but when there are a lot of waves, if is difficult to see them. Last summer there were some pygmy whales that frequented the shore. I wish I'd had my camera. They came so close to the beach that I thought I could wade into the water and touch them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds amazing. I would love to see these little whales!!

      Delete
  9. Lenora, the penguins were so cute. the 2 babies near use were adorable and we kept saying I hope the shark didn't year your parents for lunch today. they kept running down a few yards then back to there spot then down again. it was so cute. we left before there parents got back.
    There are signs in about 8 languages and huge picture signs saying do not use flash photography but so many cant read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you enjoyed watching them even if you couldn't get a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never seen a real dolphin, being a landlocked Okie, but someday--oh, someday, I will. Whales too. I love watching Planet Earth when the dolphins and whales are on.

    What a lovely post, Elnora!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Linda. I hope you get to see one. Come and visit me and you will!!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive