Wednesday, November 25, 2015

How to be a better writer - age. Yup, grow old.

By Barbara Phinney
 
I have always enjoyed writing, even those early, awful stories .
But as we grow old and mature in our faith, I'm finding myself looking more at the core of a story than at anything else. 
When I started to write The Nanny Solution, my Love Inspired Historical due out in July 2016, I asked myself what were my hero and heroine's spiritual goals, motivation and conflict? What did they need to learn to get closer to God?
It was pride. I'm thankful to say that pride is not one of my more difficult problems, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a problem at all. But there are other sins in my life and as I prepare another proposal for my editor, I discover that there are sins I need to tackle full force. More so as I get convicted of them, as was the case this weekend. 
Sorting out one's sins is complex and takes time, and lots of forgiveness is needed, but this maturing makes for a stronger writer.
As we grow in our faith and as we grow old, we see more at the core of things, and the deep emotions that truly make for a strong story.
So, take heart, younger writers. You may be getting a bit of grey hair or slightly sagging jawline. You may have put on a few pounds, but your writing and your own spiritual journey are maturing, especially as you continue to seek God's will, and allow yourself to be taught. Yes, it's a tough pill to swallow and we often choke on it, but it will go down with our Lord's help.
Then you'll find your next story will be even stronger, and so will your faith.
Have a Blessed Thanksgiving!






3 comments:

  1. Beautiful thoughts here, Barbara. I often feel like a little kid, especially when I say something stupid or thoughtless. Spiritual maturity definitely takes time. :) Have a very happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, the learning and growing process is a lifelong one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for stopping by, Jill, Christine. Yup, I feel old as I reread my post! But at the same time, isn't it exciting, and comforting to know you got over that hurdle and trust in God even more?

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive