Tuesday, March 3, 2009

There is no friend like....






There is no friend like an old friend

Who has shared our morning days,

No greeting like his welcome,
No homage like his praise.

Fame is a scentless sunflower
With gaudy crown of gold,
But friendship is the breathing rose

With sweets in every fold. --Anonymous

I am a thrift shop-rummange sale aficionado. I found a framed picture made to look like an old cross-stitched sampler with this brief poem. I love these lines of verse because to me they gives the essence of friendship.

As Janet said in her post yesterday, there is a line where an acquaintance becomes a friend. And then ever after--that person is endowed with a special importance in our lives. What they think about us matters more than what countless others think of us. Their praise means the most. Their disappointment can cut us deeper. What hurts them, hurts us. What makes them happy, makes up happy.

And I love the last two lines because they portray how empowering, yet how private and powerful the effect of true friendship is.

8 comments:

  1. True friendship is very powerful!
    Thanks, Lyn.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!!! Ditto to Margaret- powerful, indeed!!!

    Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I don't see how a person without friends could be a happy person.

    I don't know how many of you have read the Harry Potter books. I know some Christians don't like them but I found them full of Christian symbolism and theology.

    Anyway my point in bringing them up is that Harry could weather any bad time as long as he had his friends, Ron and Hermione. The hardest times were when he had to fight his crusade against evil with only one friend.

    Do any of you know which friend was the one who twice left Harry in the lurch?
    No prize. Just Harry Potter trivia!
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lyn -- I'm going to guess Ron in your Harry Potter question. I haven't read all of the books, but it seems more like it would be him than Herione.

    Thanks for the post. A good friend is a fine thing indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You win, Janet!
    It was Ron. Hermione never wavers.
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful poem, Lyn! I really appreciate you sharing. And what you said was poetic as well!

    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lyn, I so agree about not seeing how a person without friends could be a happy person.

    Great post!

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive