Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Power of Words or I Rescued a Human Today


Her eyes met mine as she walked down the corridor peering apprehensively into the kennels. I felt her need instantly and knew I had to help her. I wagged my tail, not too exuberantly, so she wouldn't be afraid. As she stopped at my kennel I blocked her view from a little accident I had in the back of my cage. I didn't want her to know that I hadn't been walked today. Sometimes the shelter keepers get too busy and I didn't want her to think poorly of them. As she read my kennel card I hoped that she wouldn't feel sad about my past. I only have the future to look forward to and want to make a difference in someone's life. She got down on her knees and made little kissy sounds at me. I shoved my shoulder and side of my head up against the bars to comfort her. Gentle fingertips caressed my neck; she was desperate for companionship. A tear fell down her cheek and I raised my paw to assure her that all would be well. Soon my kennel door opened and her smile was so bright that I instantly jumped into her arms. I would promise to keep her safe. I would promise to always be by her side. I would promise to do everything I could to see that radiant smile and sparkle in her eyes. I was so fortunate that she came down my corridor. So many more are out there who haven't walked the corridors. So many more to be saved. At least I save one. This story comes courtesy of my cousin. She also wrote that two cats adopted her this week. Cute. And very thought-provoking.

5 comments:

  1. I adopted two cats almost 8 years ago from a local shelter. What a joy they are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been talking to my husband about getting a cat.
    I lost my Aquila and Priscilla in the last three years.
    Aquila was 18
    Pris was a rescue, I had her 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have three cats and two dogs and all are adopted. :o) They are gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post. I adopted both my girls. Sadie, a lab mix and KZ a wonderful antic of a pup who is part collie...we think.

    Leaving the rest of the dogs behind is always hard when I leave our wonderful shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it was a great post, too. Somebody had a good ideal.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive