Thursday, March 21, 2013

Recipe - Authentic Alaskan Blueberry Cake


I like to start off every new year with a goal—something fun I’d like to accomplish during the course of the year. Last year, my goal was to learn how to knit. Yep, everyone got scarves for Christmas.

 Back in 2011, I had a simpler—albeit calorie-laden—aspiration. My goal was to make 50 new desserts from scratch. I succeeded. Out of all the new recipes I tried, my absolute favorite was one given to me by a fellow volunteer at the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race in Alaska.

Since my first three books for Love Inspired all take place in Alaska, most readers assume that’s where I live. I don’t. I’m a Texas girl. For the past three years, I’ve traveled to Alaska to volunteer with sled dogs at the race. From the first time I flew over Alaska and saw the Northern Lights from the airplane window, I fell in love with the place! Whenever I miss Alaska, the dogs, the snow, and the wonderful Alaskan people, I like to make my favorite dessert.  

So I’d love to share this recipe with all my readers out there! Bon Appetit, Alaskan style!

ALASKAN BLUEBERRY CAKE

3/4 cup butter

2  1/4 tsp. baking powder

1  1/2 cup sugar

3/8 tsp. salt

3 eggs, separated

1/2 cup milk

1/2 tsp. vanilla

2   1/4 cup wild blueberries

2 1/4 cups of sifted cake flour

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Add well-beaten egg yolks and vanilla.

Sift dry ingredients together and add alternately with the milk to cream mixture beating well after each addition.

Beat egg whites until frothy and fold into the batter.

Pour half of the batter into a 9x13 greased pan. Cover with the flour-dusted blueberries, then add remaining batter.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for almost 1 hour or until golden brown. Sprinkle with powder sugar. Serve hot.
Coming in May - ALASKAN HERO!
 

12 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing, Terri! Thanks for sharing the recipe. i love blueberries!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful cover, Terri! I haven't been to Alaska but my sister has many times and loves it! Thanks for the recipe. Looks yummy :) Your goal of 50 desserts from scratch is neat. I'd love to hear more about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alaska's on my list of things to do. And, er, do I need wild blueberries? Can they just be regular blueberries?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I have the same question as Pamela. Will regular blueberries work?

    How cool that you volunteer for the Iditarod. That race fascinates me, though I prefer to watch from the warmth of home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You all crack me up. Yes, you can use tame blueberries (as opposed to wild). Karen, the 50 dessert challenge was fun! I started with vanilla bread pudding on New Year's Day. My favorite desserts out of the whole year were - Alaskan Blueberry Cake, Cannoli, Fruit Tea Cupcakes (a recipe I got while I was in London), Bailey's Irish Cream pound cake and Magnolia Bakery's vanilla/vanilla cupcake recipe. I make the Bailey's cake and the blueberry cake all the time because they're really easy. During that year, Sunday was my baking day. I pretty much baked every Sunday afternoon. Then I had to give most everything away because my husband was on a diet. Out of all those desserts, he literally only tasted three of them. And it was one bite each time. Now I've moved on to homemade pasta and pie crust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, he sure has willpower!! The fruit tea cupcakes sound interesting. I bet your house smelled divine. :)

      Delete
  6. My husband and I thought about moving to Fairbanks, Alaska when we finished college, but decided it was too far from family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I all sounds wonderful, I wouldn't like to live there, but i would like to go there and visit my granddaughter would love to live there.All of it sounds great. God bless you.
    Norma S.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! I love anything with blueberries in it, so definitely want to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing, and I look forward to reading your book in May.
    Blessings from Georgia, Patti Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would you live in Alaska if you had the chance?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lyn, I probably would. I would have to learn how to drive in the snow first. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive