Wednesday, May 7, 2014

ACTING LIKE A BIG NAME AUTHOR

As you read my title, you may think I'm going to act a bit too big for my britches, but, well, maybe not.
I just spent a month in Florida. It was a dream vacation for my husband and me, and we did what we set out to do. 
On some of our evening walks, we enjoyed things like this.
 
I loved it, and the Lord really spoke to me through my time there. But that's a story for another time.
This time, I acted like a big name writer. 
You see, the day before I left, my editor asked for some revisions for Faith in the Warrior, my LIH out next year. What was to be done was simple enough, but it would also mean going through the whole manuscript. So I did what any big name writer would do. I packed up my laptop and promised myself I would do a little each day.
Big name writers aren't big name writers for no reason at all. They're not like Castle on TV, who is rarely seen writing. Big name writers put the keesters in the chair and work every day.
This isn't me. It's hubs checking sports, but this is where I wrote.

But, hey, I was in Florida. I did take some time off, but while my husband explored the neighbourhood where we were staying, I edited about 10 pages a day. As a result, I got through my manuscript and even had time to start editing another manuscript.
There's a lesson in this, Do you want something? Do you have a big project? You need discipline because it will probably take some time. Chip away at it. Make up a plan. Get rest and enjoy yourself. Celebrate your successes.
 
What better way to celebrate than a dip into the pool after work?

Then you can act like a big name whatever you are. Because success comes only after hard work and planning and just doing it.
The very best wishes for your success today!

Barbara Phinney tries to write each day, and as a result is pleased to say that her latest LIH is out in August. Look for Protected by the Warrior soon!

9 comments:

  1. Barb,

    At a writer's class I attended several years ago, the instructor passed around a can of buttons and told us to take one. Then she said that the button is the key to becoming a published writer. You can imagine we were all scratching our heads. Then she said, "The key to getting published is discipline--keeping your 'butt-on' the chair and writing. That's always stuck with me, and I still have my button.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, that pool must look inviting now that you're back up north. What a lovely reward at the end of a writing day! Thank you for reiterating the need for discipline - and the need for renewal. I tend to forget the latter during crunch time, but it's oh so necessary. The Sabbath is a gentle reminder that God knows how much we need to rest. Congratulations on the new book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I write during vacations too, but it's when everyone else is asleep LOL

    I like the Butt on story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waooohhh! I am able to comment today. I've missed you gals.

    Winnie, I'm sure you helped.

    Barbara, nice post. You made me remember i am a wanna-be!

    Great day beautiful people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you, Barbara! That's so very true!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks and sounds like you had a lot of fun. I needed this post today... thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a clever post title. I admire your self discipline, Barbara. Congrats on your upcoming release.

    Love the illustration you shared, Vickie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this, Barbara! So glad you had a month in FL AND that you accomplished what you needed to. Great reminders for us (and just what I needed).
    Blessings from Georgia, Patti Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, Barbara! So true, success only comes after hard work. Congrats on the new book!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive