Thursday, October 29, 2009

What's your newest toy?


I don't really like change. I wish I never had to update my computer, reprogram the DVR, buy a new phone, or suffer a fate worse than death by purchasing a new printer. And have you seen the new washing machines? They scare me to death.

Okay, the things I really don't like to see change are the things that require some understanding of technology. Knowing that, would you be surprised to learn that this entire post was written by talking to my computer?

I have a new toy, a new toy, a new toy.

Speech recognition writing is something I have wanted to do for a long time. I suffer from arthritis in both my hands. Typing is downright painful. When I'm on deadline it's not unusual to see me with strips of white tape wrapped around my fingers like a boxer getting ready for a fight. Making the transition to voice activated typing has become a must for me. The physical need to adjust has outweighed my reluctance to allow change in my life. Hey, I’ve had the same husband for 35 years and the same winter coat for 5 years. I’m a in-a-rut kind of gal.

It hasn’t been easy to make the transition. It required a new attitude about the way I write. I constantly revise as I write. I didn't believe it would be possible for me to dictate and like what I saw. I was so wrong. It may take me a few weeks or a few months to become proficient with this new program, but I intend to persevere. I have so many stories in my heart I need to tell. Now I don't have to type them. I only have to tell them.

Change can be hard, but it can also be wonderful. I'll let you know how I'm getting along the next time I have to speak to our blog.

Okay, what new toy do you have your eye on? Do tell.

6 comments:

  1. Last night, I watched Scooby Doo and the Mummy with my son. Reading your post, I had the strangest visual LOL. It had to do with the tape wrapped around your hands. So, you started my morning with laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pat, I love gadgets and really, really want a new phone with all the apps. I can't wait to see how your new toy works. I can speak for how long you keep things. You've had the same critique partners forever too. (grin) XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat,
    I will cry if my computer ever dies. I'm still using Word 2000. I fear ever having to update. We're not coffee drinkers, so we still have the original Mister Coffee we got for a wedding gift--still works.

    I did recently purchase a new printer. No problems there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by today, Pamela, Reese and Merrillee. Sorry it took me so long to reply. I've been at the hospital waiting with my sister-in-law while my brother had spinal surgery. He came through fine.

    Pamela, thanks for the chuckle.
    Reese, my dear critique partner, the ladies in my arthritis water class at the Y laughed hysterally at my description of your current wip scene. They are all waiting for the next installment. Get writing.

    Merrillee. I have windows 2000 and I can't give it up. I got 2007for a while, but took it off.
    If you've kept the coffee pot and the husband the same amount of time, that's one fine husband you have.

    Blessings
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the coolest thing, Pat! I had a friend who got that several years ago. She laughed and said she was having to teach it to understand a southern drawl. :)

    I hope it goes well!

    For my dream gadget, I'd love an iPhone. Oh, and before that, I'd like an e-reader of some kind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merrillee,
    I still miss AmiPro. I'll bet nowhere else remembers that program. It was early (before the Internet existed!) and easy, so easy.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive