Friday, June 29, 2012

Ask Elnora--About that word "like"?? Lenora Worth

Hello, my friends. Remember in school when someone would run up to you and ask "Will you be my friend?" Sometimes, Elnora said "yes" and sometimes Elnora ran away shrieking. (But that was mostly so the boy doing the asking would chase me.) These days, the word LIKE is all over cyberspace. It's called social networking, of course. Elnora remembers the good old days when people actually had to get to know each other before they could declare "I really like you." Now, we stare at a screen, look at a picture, or lack of one, and go "Hmmm, let me think about this." For about two seconds. That's because of course we all want to be liked. And if we're liked then we must like that person in return. Another code word for this is "follow". If I follow you, will you follow me? But wait, where are we going? Sometimes, Elnora gets the hives just thinking about this stuff. I don't even know how to make paragraphs appear on this blog, as you can plainly see. So I just do a stream of consciousness rather long continuing paragraph and hope nobody notices that I haven't stopped to take a breath! (Or I insert a picture I rushed out to the backyard to take!) That always breaks things up! See--
But back to this like stuff. The marketing and media darlings at my big, wonderful publishing house "suggest" that we have a digital plan. Yeah, right. I know exactly what that is. Don't we all??? Elnora has joined the big communtiy of writers--that's a no brainer. I love hanging with my peeps! I have a blog and I visit blogs. I'd hate to miss anything! I have a website, too. Hey, maybe I'm getting the hang of this tribe thing!~ I have a Facebook page. I like that! I tweet, although I finally learned not to call it "tweeder." I am from the South, after all. Yes, I have a Google Alert that scares the dickens out of me because I fear it will be a horrible review coming through. A widget? Excuse me, but proper ladies don't indulge in widgets!!!! I am just now confessing to my editors and my digital team about my ... er .... online presence. And I'm going to find out how to join that darn Affiliate program. I did try that once but something went terribly wrong! But ... I like people all over the place and they seem to like me back! So let's discuss social media? What is it that you like about that word "LIKE"? And what is it that gives you the hives??? Oh, and I did clean my office today. Big Daddy really "liked" that! No dust bunnies and my books are all packed away! What do you "LIKE" about social media? Does it help you sell books? Do you have a tribe? (Elnora has more of an entourage that follows her to the shoe sales! Now that's a big LIKE!!!)

9 comments:

  1. Nice one. I was so afraid of that word 'like' initially. I thought you really have LIKE the person but when I saw people I don't know 'liking' me and my write-ups, I understood that 'like' may not really mean 'Like' in the conservative understanding.

    But for all beautiful women on this blog (when will we have a man here? just wondering) I Like (I mean love) you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elnora, I like - no love - that picture out your backyard! Wow does that look inviting on a hot day. I love meeting other writers and readers on social media. It's a connection we didn't have before the advent of the internet. As a historical writer, I have to remind myself that communication could takes weeks and months and maybe not arrive at all! The ability to meet and chat with people all over the world is quite an amazing blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elnora, I join Christine in "Liking" your pics, especially the beach. Be still my heart. I'm a water girl. Live on a lake, but the ocean is majestic and reminds me of how awesome our God really is!

    Digital stuff? I always seem to be two steps behind. :) But I love our blog family here at the Craftie Ladies site. And all my peeps in Seekerville. We're family, sharing and caring and helping each other with our writing and the highs and lows of life.

    Pinterest? Not yet! Maybe in the not-too-distant future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Debby. I have my website, I blog, and I have a FACEBOOK author page. I try new things as they come and as they appeal to me. I keep thinking there's some marketing niche I haven't found yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what I "like"? I like that photo you shot out the back door. Girl, you truly live in paradise!! Wow.

    As to social media, I must confess, I feel like I'm stumbling around in the dark most of the time. I like this, or follow that, add a photo here and then can't remember how to take it down or hook it up or link it or whatever. AWK! I think I'll just go back in my office and make up stories....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you, Elnora. Sometimes I think if we're all "following" each other then aren't we just going around in circles? I saw this joke that Facebook/Twitter and Youtube are going to merge and it will be called You Twit Face. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello. Nice comments. I love all of you. We could start a new network where we LOVE others. As for that beach photo-- it is a few miles from where we will be living, but still in my backyard. Today is bittersweet. We just had a walk through to put our house on the market. I will miss my Tudor style house, but boy do we have a lot of stuff. And I like all of it. But I'm trading space for views. No wonder I can't keep up. Too much for my little brain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dana, LOL at You Twit Face! So funny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm back. I'm exhausted. Clearing away years of collected stuff is draining, both physically and mentally. No writing today. I went through and UNLIKED a lot of things--old makeup, old clothes, some books that I finally parted with--telling myself they would bring others a lot of joy! Now I'm checking e-mail and reading the blog. I think I feel a nap calling my name. Sometimes, with Social Media, I hear way more than I need to know. It's like eavesdropping on the world! Oh, just heard Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes are getting a divorce!!! Was shocked! That's Elnora's new item for the day!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive