Monday, June 18, 2012

Honoring Dad:

Hi Friends, Carrie Turansky here, wishing you a belated happy Father’s Day. For some of you I’m sure it was a fun, family day, celebrating with the dads and granddads in your life. But for others it may have been a bittersweet day as you look back and wish for a better relationship with your father. None of us had a perfect father. Our dads are human and no matter how much they loved us, they still made mistakes, just like we do. I hope you will extend grace and forgiveness toward your dad, and then focus on those special memories that highlight his love and unique place in your life.

I’m blessed with many happy memories of my father, Bob Swain. Dad was born in 1920 in a small town in Oregon and grew up during the Great Depression. His parents taught him how to be thrifty and work hard. He got his first job at age 12, cleaning classrooms at his elementary school. He went on to graduate from high school and join the Army, fighting in the Pacific during WW2. From those years he learned to appreciate his friends, family and life back home. After the war he married my mother and took on the role of husband, father, and faithful provider for our family. My dad always made me feel safe and loved. I know I had a special place in his heart, and I enjoyed being his little girl.

No matter what your relationship was like with your dad, you can enjoy a deep and satisfying relationship with your Heavenly Father. He loves you deeply, and He invites you to be part of his forever family. He is always available to you—only a prayer away. His commitment to watch over you and care for you never changes. What a blessing to have a Father like that!

Here’s a cake I made for my husband, Scott, in honor of Father’s Day and his birthday which was also this week. It’s an angel food cake, sliced horizontally, filled with white chocolate pudding and sliced strawberries and blueberries. It was delicious and enjoyed by all.

How did you spend Father's Day? Can you share a special memory you have of your father? 


8 comments:

  1. Beautiful cake, Carrie!

    My sweet husband spent the day proofing my current manuscript so I can mail it out this week. We're going to take him out to celebrate once I'm finished. He's a real trooper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Missy, What a great guy! You are blessed to have a husband who encourages you and helps you on your writing journey. Thanks for sharing with us. Hope when you do have time to celebrate it will be very special time for all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Father came to the Lord when I was 11 years old and I remember him being on fire for God. Churches would ask him to come and share his testimony with their congregations just about every week. This is one of my most precious memories of my Dad because he would take me with him and we would sing a hymn together for the church before he spoke. We sounded terrible!!! But I know it brought a smile to my Lord's face and now mine:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad was born in 1920 also and fought in WW2. He's been gone 8 years and I still miss him. We did, however, as you said, celebrated with my husband's family, so had grandpa there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad died 12 years ago, but I still miss him. He had a wonderful laugh and always had a smile on his face. There are still times I would love to sit down and talk to him. I did get to spend some time with his brother in Ct. a couple of weeks ago. It was a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are such great memories! Thanks for sharing, everyone. It's interesting how God put this longing in our hearts to connect with our fathers. I think it's also a part of His plan to draw us to Him. I am so thankful for my earthly father and my Heavenly Father.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hubby and I drove to Fort Benning, GA, for an overnight visit with our military son, daughter-in-law and their little one. Our son has been on four deployments so having him home for Father's Day and being able to celebrate together was such a gift.

    One of the brigades at Benning left this weekend for the Middle East. I was praying for all the families who couldn't be together and asking God's protection and blessing on all those serving in harm's way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Debby...four deployments for your son!? My goodness. My son has been a Marine for 6+ years and has only had two deployments. So glad you could spend time together on Father's Day. That sounds very special!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive