Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Janet Lee Barton here. This is my first blog for Craftie Ladies and I am so excited to be part of this group!

I love writing about New York City at the turn of the century. Love the research--I have shelves of books on New York City, files and photos from the late 1890's on my computer. I've loved learning so much about the city at that time and the photos I've found take me back to a time and place far removed from today.  I hope I am able bring this city to life at a time when women were joining the workforce in huge numbers, living in boarding houses similar to Heaton House, the boarding house in my first LIH, Somewhere to Call Home.



(Photo taken by Stacy Cashman at ramblingtraveler.com
And although some of the places my characters visit are still there, many are not. Central Park is still there of course, and taking a walk in it now is probably much the same now as would have been  at the turn of the century. But the skyline around it, from then to now, keeps changing.  

Of course many of the changes through the years have been for the better and yet it saddens me that so many landmarks are gone. In writing about history we must try to preserve the settings and events that take place in our stories so that our readers can get a real feel for the time and the place, so they can relate to the history of the time. We never know when storms or events will take those things away as Hurricane Sandy did, especially along the east coast.

Just as my heart went out to the people of the City after 9/11, it goes out to them now as they deal with the aftermath of Sandy. As the Crafie Ladies, our editors live and work in the city and our thoughts and prayers are with them and all who were in the path of the storm.

Do you like real history weaved into the historical stories you read? Do you like real settings or ficitonal places best? 




13 comments:

  1. Hi Janet! Welcome to Love Inspired Historical. I'm with you! I love New York City at the turn of the last century. I recently toured several restored tenement houses on the Lower East Side. So much history! I'm a huge fan of Joseph Byron's work. What a great photographer!

    ~Renee Ryan~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet, we're so glad you've joined us!!

    I love both types of settings. It's fun to read about real places I know. But it's also fun to imagine the place I'm reading about.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Thanks for the welcome Renee and Missy! I'm thrilled to be here. I'd love to see those restored tenement houses, Renee. And I enjoy both kinds of settings, too Missy. It's fun to totally make up a setting and a little freeing, too. But I do enjoy writing about real places also. I feel blessed that we're able to write about either one in our fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome, Janet. I like to read about real places and their history.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcomne to the Craftie Ladies Janet! And though I usually create my own settings, I love visiting historic sites and drinking in the 'what was' and the 'what could have been' atmosphere. It so fires the imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw yes Janet. I love reading about historic places. I've read Somewhere To Call Home and girl you did an outstanding job of bringing historical New York to life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Rhonda! And thanks for the welcome, Merrillee, Winnie and Rhonda!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Janet,

    I've been praying for the LI staff and all those effected by Sandy. Now another storm is headed their way.

    Love the way you weave history with fiction to create great stories! So glad you're part of the LI family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the welcome Debby! I'm so happy to be part of the LI family!
    And I know we're all praying for the LI staff and all effected by Sandy even more with this new storm brewing. They've really been through so much already.
    Thanks so much everyone for making me feel a part of the LI family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Janet welcome. I love learning new facts in historical books. I learnt something in a Gilbert Morris book that I have always wanted to answer a question on. Who was Roland Garros (home of the french open) named after. The WW1 flying ace Roland Garros.
    I like both settings but learning new facts is great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jenny, thanks for the welcome! I've always loved learning new facts from books, too. And I love learning about places in them. I like that a book can take us somewhere we've never been, and make us want to visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Janet,
    So good to have you here! Welcome.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive