Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Got letters?

Got letters? You know, the old fashioned paper and pencil kind of letters? I do. In fact, it's the reason I pay for a post office box. Most of the time, this receptacle is jammed with junk mail intended for the previous owner. There’s the nice man who has apparently invested with Charles Schwab on occasion. Another has purchased meat through the mail which I didn’t even know was possible, and one woman landed on the American Girl catalog mailing list. So why pay for the privilege of throwing these things away? Because every few weeks a letter appears in my p.o. box, decorated with stickers. It’s a handwritten letter, usually four pages in length, from my dear friend Patsy, whom I have never met. Patsy began corresponding with me after reading one of my books. No, she doesn’t Facebook and no, she has no Twitter account or email. Patsy is one of the ladies who write me letters because that is how they interact with the world. Old fashioned? Yes. A slow form of correspondence? Absolutely, but each and every word is a precious blessing to me. Did I mention that Patsy prays for me, this darling 86 year old woman whose picture adorns my fridge? Yep, Patsy prays for me and my family and in my book, that’s priceless. Do you ever write or receive letters? Do share.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I would love to get a letter in the mail! I'm a throwback I guess because I am one person who is dead set against any tampering with my beloved postal service. Still praying that they don't 'do away' with Saturday service. Yes, I have Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and more but I still wait for the mailman every day - there's always the hope that something good might come each day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patsy, is a great fan of Love Inspired books and a great encourager. I have also received notes from Patsy. She is a joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, she is, that Patsy! Love her!

    Christina, we just lost our Saturday mail service here in CA. Sad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love getting letters and notes. Also love writing them, especially to those struggling with illness.

    The folks I write always say that receiving a hand-written note touched them deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love getting letters and notes, too. My favorite came from a friend when I was in highschool and was giant-poster size. I kept unfolding and unfolding and unfolding, and it was full of writing and little notes. I loved the idea so much that when my fiance was at university (and I was still in high school) I wrote him a similar "note". :) Of course, he much preferred the giant card I gave him one year for his birthday, in which I strategically inserted names of candy bars in the message, which of course, were written with the candy bar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I hear from Patsy too. She sent me a precious historical document because of one of my books--a song sheet from Martin Luther King Jr's March on DC from 1963. A TREASURE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhh, I love letters and notes, and I even write some on occasion. They're such a treat to receive anymore. When I was small, I'd get so excited when I received a letter in the mail. They seem to be largely a lost art these days. Patsy is truly a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is so cool. I wrote to Gilbert Morris a few times and it was so cool to get a reply. I also wrote to a few others that I didn't hear back from.

    Dana we lost our Saturday service when I was a child about 9 I think it was before dad died.

    When mum first really became a shut in and was so down I found a group through Chemo Angels they have a senior angels program and you can join up a senior with there permission and someone will be asigned and write to them at least once a week. letters, cards etc. they know they may never get a reply. I had to check in once a month and fill answer some questions but it was such a great service. Mum loved the letters and so did I. Her last angel still contacts me as we feel in love with her grandchild and she still sends me photos of him. It is such a wonderful ministry. The other group we signed up to was Hearts for Seniors and she got cards from different people.

    Im afraid now I mainly email authors. but even getting an email reply from an author is a blessing to be acknowledged for writing is always appreciated. I know I forget to let people I know I received a book
    (Winnie if you see this I did get your book).

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive