Wednesday, October 2, 2013

How do I come up with book ideas?

One Ranch, Two Sons and a Contest, what could be more fun?
 
That was the question a friend of mine asked me one night when I was trying to come up with a new historical book idea.  I popped back, two mail-order brides who want their men to fall in love with them and not because of some silly contest their mother cooked up. And so Taming the Texas Rancher was born. 
 
I'm often asked how I come up with book ideas. My answer is always the same, ideas are everywhere.
 
But, I'll be honest my best idea generator is my husband. He starts the ideas rolling and I find myself scooping them up. Often they don't look anything like what he had planned, I keep telling him he needs to write his own books, but I love that he's willing to put the ideas out there.
 
That's just one example of how I come up with ideas.
 
What inspires ideas in you?
 


4 comments:

  1. Love to brainstorm ideas, but a lot of mine come from the characters that pop up in my mind and the history of a place I love. And sometimes from the research I do.

    Family and friends play a part in that brainstorming, too. I love what they can come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhonda! What a great resource your husband is. How fun that he can brainstorm with you. My critique partners are fabulous for brainstorming. I also get a lot of ideas from the history of the place and the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Encourage your husband. Sounds like he's a writer at heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet and Christine, I agree I get lots of ideas from history and critique partners are wonderful too!

    I agree Debby! he has a wonderful Fantasy Novel that is in his head but he's not much of a writer and wants me to write it... LOL, not going to happen :) Hehe

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive