Thursday, July 30, 2015

Baked Alaska recipe from Teri Wilson, author of LI Alaska series

Hi, everyone! 

This is a post I've been meaning to do for a while. You know how it is...there's always something you plan on doing, and somehow it just gets put off. Right?

A few years ago, when I was busy slaving away on ALASKAN HEARTS (which would later become my very first book with Love Inspired), I remember saying to my critique partners, "If I ever sell this book to Harlequin, I'm going to celebrate by making Baked Alaska." I mean, how appropriate! 


Fast forward to the present. My Alaska series for LI is now 5 books strong, and have I made that Baked Alaska yet? Um...no. Not exactly. There's something little intimidating about taking on an ice cream cake that you eventually set on fire. 


How does it not turn into a melted mess? Better yet, how do I manage to not set my kitchen fire?

But right here, right now, I'm taking the first step. I found a recipe! (Don't laugh. You have to start somewhere.) 

I'm including the recipe below. This particular recipe does not require actual flames. But the total preparation time is a whopping eight hours and 30 minutes. Egad. Never fear, though. Only one hour of that time is active. (I can only assume the rest of the time is spent wondering what you've gotten yourself into.) And look how pretty it is! Just like Alaska, only with sugar. 


Does anyone care to join me in this little culinary adventure? Better yet, has anyone actually made Baked Alaska before??

Do tell. Please. 

Ingredients

Ice Cream Dome

2
cups (1 pint) peppermint ice cream, softened
6
cups (1.5 quarts) mint chocolate chip ice cream, softened
6
cups (1.5 quarts) vanilla ice cream, softened 

Brownie Base

1
cup butter
8
oz bittersweet chocolate
4
eggs
2
cups sugar
2
teaspoons vanilla
1 1/4
cup all-purpose flour
1
teaspoon baking powder
1/2
teaspoon salt

Merinque

8
egg whites, room temperature
1/4
teaspoon cream of tartar
1
cup sugar

Directions

Directions 

  • Line a 3-quart bowl with plastic wrap. Fill base of bowl with peppermint ice cream; layer with mint chocolate chip ice cream, then finish with a layer of vanilla ice cream. Cover surface with plastic wrap and freeze until ice cream is very hard, at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours in advance.
  • Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 9-inch cake pan with cooking spray, line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper and spray parchment paper with nonstick cooking spray.
  • Place butter and chocolate in a medium glass bowl over a saucepan of hot water (or a double boiler) and stir the butter and chocolate until melted. This can also be done in a microwave by placing butter and chocolate in microwave-safe medium glass bowl and microwaving on High for 1 to 2 minutes or until melted, stirring once. Set aside to cool
  • In a separate large bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla until well combined. In another medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt until combined. Add the cooled chocolate mixture to the eggs and whisk to combine. Add the flour to the chocolate mixture and whisk to combine. Pour into cake pan. Bake 50 minutes to 1 hour until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
  • When the brownie is completely cool, about 1 hour. Turn brownie out onto a large flat, ovenproof plate. Unmold the ice cream dome on top of the brownie layer. Place back in the freezer. 
  • With electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the egg whites and cream of tartar for 2 minutes on medium-high speed. Increase the speed to high and add the sugar in a slow stream until stiff, glossy peaks form.
  • Remove ice cream dome from freezer. Remove plastic wrap. Cover the ice cream dome with the meringue, covering it completely, using the back of spoon to make swirly peaks. Freeze for at least 3 hours or up to 2 days.
  • Heat the oven to 500°F. Bake for 3 to 5 minutes or until the peaks start to turn a golden brown color. For easier slicing, let cake stand for 30 minutes. Slice and serve. 
Come visit Teri's world of Aurora, Alaska, in her latest book for Love Inspired - ALASKAN HOMECOMING



Ballet dancer Posy Sutton is only back in her hometown of Aurora, Alaska, until her injury heals. It's a decision that'd be easier to stick to if she didn't keep bumping into her charming ex-boyfriend, Liam Blake. After six years, she should be over him—but instead all she can see is the mistake she made when she left him. She's not sure she can handle choosing between Liam and ballet a second time…if Liam is even willing to risk his heart again. When her time in Alaska is up, will she and Liam be part of the sweetest dance of all?



Recipe from Betty Crocker.


8 comments:

  1. That looks delicious, especially on a hot day. But wow, how time consuming. Congrats on the enduring Alaska series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, Teri,

    That looks delicious, but you lost me at "freeze until ice cream is very hard."

    With the heat wave we're in, ice cream just does not even stay hard in my freezer. I always wonder why that is. Everything else stays frozen but the ice cream is mushy.

    I did make something similar to this years ago though. When we were on our honeymoon, my husband and I enjoyed this amazing lemon meringue ice cream pie that was very similar. You alternated layers of lemon filling with vanilla ice cream, pausing to freeze each time. The last layer was a meringue like yours. Surprisingly, it did really work. Mine may have been a bit more melty than the one in the restaurant, but it was still amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even have room in my freezer to deal with this. LOL. Cate, that pie sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks amazing, but I fear I don't have the time to attempt it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted to make this! In fact, I've never even eaten it. Must make! Thanks for sharing, Teri.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yummy! And perfect for the 100 degree plus weather we've been experiencing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always wanted to try Baked Alaska, but never have, either. Saving the recipe. Maybe I can get my granddaughter, the baker, to make it for me for my birthday this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I ever attempt this, all of you will be the first to know. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive